• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Comfortable RPM's

alpine_64

Donation Time
I'm contemplating an OD but also struggle with changing the originality of the car. Currently all numbers match, original paint with only a few mods such as wheels and aftermarket steering wheel for more leg room. Just trying to decide if I need to go 80 on the freeway.

O/D was optional on all alpines, and fitted to close to half of them.. though that said it was not as popular in the states as other markets for some reason. The only way someone would know your car was not originally fitetd with OD was by looking at the block/VIn and it not having OD stamped on it... the only other visual give away is the additional stalk on the steering column. The OD adds value to an alpine.. but more importantly makes them much more versatile, comfortable and reduces stress on the motor.

65beam

Donation Time
RPM's

there were not many cars here in the states that had factory installed options such as over drive. the east coast cars came into a storage facility either in the new jersey area or into Jacksonville since they were not intended for a particular dealer. there were master distributors and a dealer in their area had to buy thru these masters. for that reason the cars were generic and the dealer installed the options. there would have been a small percentage with OD but the majority did not have it.

alpine_64

Donation Time
"ovedrives" were a factory ordered component, they are not like a mirror or radio, they were far more involved to fit. I doubt many cars in period were retrofitted with it.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Guys, can you tell me if an OD from a '63-65 Volvo P-1800 would fit an Alpine Series V?

DanR

alpine_64

Donation Time
Guys, can you tell me if an OD from a '63-65 Volvo P-1800 would fit an Alpine Series V?

DanR

Dan the laycock overdrive units were a generic setup that could be bolted to most transmissions.. the trick is not the OD unit but the adpator plate to mount them, adn then more difficult, the mainshaft. An OD unit requires a mainshaft that is longer to extend into the box and the OD unit.

if you had a mainshaft and adaptor plate.. you can use the same type of OD unit... also consider that they came in different ratios.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I've have a complete Overdrive transmission that came out of my 63 P1800 Coupe. It works nice and is in good condition. It will never go back into the '63 because I intend utilizing a different engine and tranny.

I also have a '79 Volvo engine and OD unit that has less than 38K. Been storing since late 1979 with intention of installingthem in th P1800.

I'm toying with the idea of putting either the '63 or the '79 OD tranny in my SV. Does anyone have any knowledge of adapting the two?

Last edited:

RootesRacer

Donation Time
The P1800 has a different output (flange) compared to the splined shaft used on the rootes OD apps.

You can bolt the OD to the rootes trans plus rootes specific adapter and the OD will work but you will have to fab a driveshaft to mount to the OD flange.

Volvo had other apps that used a J type OD (Alpines used a D type) so you need to verify if the volvo has the D type, plus you still need the roots OD specific trans and the rootes OD adapter.

The 63 should be a D type and the later one a J or P type.
They are not in any way compatible between the 2.

HTH

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I've have a complete Overdrive transmission that came out of my 63 P1800 Coupe. It works nice and is in good condition. It will never go back into the '63 because I intend utilizing a different engine and tranny.

I also have a '79 Volvo engine and OD unit that has less than 38K. Been storing since late 1979 with intention of installingthem in th P1800.

I'm toying with the idea of putting either the '63 or the '79 OD tranny in my SV. Does anyone have any knowledge of adapting the two?

Dan, why not the engine and tranny? What the Alpine World really needs is a bullet proof late Series O.D. transmission output shaft. Too bad the OEM's are so pathetic.

Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bill, I did install the '79 engine and Tranny in my '65 SIV GT way back twenty years ago. Just was satisfied with the end results. Probably because I never finished it. Put every thing on hold for twenty or more years....
Now doing the V6.

But am interested very much in getting the OD for Commodore Blue.

I have finally "Tagged and Insured" my '67. Took her for a trial run yesterday. Ran great! Sounds great too! Just a bit too loud for the wife.

Handles nicely too! Quiet as expected inside the car even over Railroad tracks.

I have more work inorder to "finish" what I started but am happy to be able to drive now.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks RootesRacer for you input. Now to figure out what is the "rootes specific adapter " Seems research and study time has arrived. Any suggestions as to where to look? Any pictures?

I would prefer to utilize the '63 OD in my '67SV. I do have the old drive shaft which I could use to modify as necessary.

DanR

The P1800 has a different output (flange) compared to the splined shaft used on the rootes OD apps.

You can bolt the OD to the rootes trans plus rootes specific adapter and the OD will work but you will have to fab a driveshaft to mount to the OD flange.

Volvo had other apps that used a J type OD (Alpines used a D type) so you need to verify if the volvo has the D type, plus you still need the roots OD specific trans and the rootes OD adapter.

The 63 should be a D type and the later one a J or P type.
They are not in any way compatible between the 2.

HTH