• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Cologne 2.8l turbo

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim, Have you been a passenger or driven Mr Bill's "Bomb" ?

I have. Bill was nice enough to give me a turn at the wheel in Cambria. It was very quick, but not in the same league as Vader. I've not driven in many cars that felt as fast as that one. But, in all fairness, I should add that my assessment was from my time as a passenger, not when I was driving. It definitely felt quicker than any Alpine I have driven when I drove it, but the neck-snapping happened when Jim was driving. However, I was surprised at just how fast my car was when Jim drove it, so the driver does make a difference. :)

While on this topic, I should add that the only other contender for 'fastest Sunbeam Jim has ever been in' would be Tigertr's turbo Alpine (http://www.myturboalpine.com), but that was a totally different beast, both in execution and in my seat-of-the-pants dyno.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The car that Dan and Jim drove are very different in tune, due mostly to the configuration of the intake manifold. Dan's version was very strong below 4,000, then dropped off rapidly above 5500. Was pretty dead from 6000 to 7000. Jim's was more even throughout the entire RPM range. They had identical 20-80 mph times. Needless to say, Dan's version was more fun. Jim's version had an off idle hesitation that seemed to be part of the long runner intake. Shortening the runners has eliminated the hesitation, I hope to find the runner length sweet spot before the Invasion.

Bill

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Back to the original question about turbo charging the 2.8, I also came across this article that I saved many years ago. It isn't the one by Jose and unfortunately, the Spearco kit is no longer available (although they do pop up on eBay occasionally for big bucks), I am posting it here in case it helps anyone.

Attachments

• Spearco Turbocharged Mustang II V-6.pdf
    67.3 KB · Views: 34

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Jim,
There was an earlier series of write ups on Jose in the TE/AE newsletter. IIRC the first one focused on the V-6 and a second one followed on the turbo.
I tried looking on the TE/AE website for back issues, but was not successful.

TR

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here is an Article that seems to be overlooked about a Gent by the name of John Thomson out of Ft Bragg, NC that could easily be the 1st FORD V6 Alpine conversion. Note the date of the Article? Note too that there is no mention of a SuperCharger or Blower so it was a pure Carb'd engine from what I read!

C5 – Capri V-6 / Sunbeam Alpine
from the June 1978 RootesReview

In September, 1964, the semi-popular Sunbeam Alpine received a massive dose of performance adrenaline. Under the careful tutelage of Carroll Shelby, the Alpine entered the scene as a conservative, suburban Cobra. Sporting a shiny new, small block 260 cid Ford V-8, the Sunbeam Tiger was born and Americans gobbled them up. Unfortunately, the cars life span was short. Imported to the United States by Chrysler Motors Corporation, it didn’t take long for the corporate heads to convince themselves that marketing a car using the competition’s engine was an unproductive practice. And so the Tiger became a classic.

(Ed note: Caution! Costs shown in this article are from 1978. If only it were still so!) Today a clean Tiger costs 5000 dollars–if one is lucky enough to find a guy dumb enough to sell one. Stock Sunbeam Alpines, on the other hand, are still available to the discerning buyer of slightly used sports cars for a mere 700 dollars. Unfortunately, the four banger just doesn’t have the pizazz of a Ford V-8.

John Thomson of Fort Bragg, North Carolina set out to solve the problem of giving more performance to the Alpine without the expenses and radical changes required to shoehorn a Ford V-8 into the Alpine. To make a Tiger out of an Alpine requires new steering, suspension changes and radical surgery to the fire wall.

John’s first step was to locate a Sunbeam Alpine. After a search of several months, he discovered a 1967 Mark V sitting outside of a garage in a small North Carolina town. The engine, or what was left of it, was nestled in the trunk. Mice had set up housekeeping in the seats and three wheels were missing. He was shrewd enough to negotiate a deal of 260 dollars for the remainder of the car. Next, was the acquisition of a wrecked 1973, V-6 Capri with only 18,000 miles on the odometer. For 656 additional dollars a complete new drive train and wheels was available for installation
in the Alpine.

The second step was to combine these two fugitives from a junk yard into an inexpensive substitute for the Sunbeam Tiger, a “Mini-Tiger.” And why not, the Tiger was the product of a Ford V-8 in an English roadster and the Capri, a German Ford V-6, in an English roadster could have been the next step had the cars life not been so short lived.

The swap, although not a “bolt in” conversion, was not that difficult and anyone with a fair mechanical knowledge and the tools and equipment could easily duplicate the project.

The Engine
Since John wanted the steering and front suspension to remain unchanged, the location of the motor mounts required the construction of 3/8″ steel extensions bolted to the V-6 block. Next, a 3/8″ steel plate was bolted to the front cross member of the Alpine. The engine was now supported at the front in the same manner as the old cast iron four. The stock rubber mounts from the Alpine were used to support the engine from the cross member. This is only one method and the only important thing to remember is the fact that the engine must be supported at its front to use the existing cross member mounts. The mechanical fuel pump interfered with the frame and was therefore removed. An electric pump was then mounted close to the gas tank to provide the go juice to the carburetor. In order to retain the power brake booster in the stock location the alternator on the 1973 V-6 Capri engine was moved from the right to the left. This was accomplished using the alternator mount from a 1974 Capri V-6. The stock Alpine radiator was retained and the only modification to the Capri engine was to reweld the bottom water pump outlet so it came straight out rather than down. Since the outlet is aluminum it was necessary to weld it using a heliarc. Tubing headers were constructed by hand in order to bypass the steering box and cross linkage. No cutting of the frame was required. By using a custom chrome air cleaner, no problem was encountered with hood clearance. It should be noted that the engine, complete with carburetor was lowered into the chassis and the hood buttoned down. The motor mounts were then constructed from wooden templates and fitted from below. During this time, the engine was supported by a hydraulic jack from below. Care was also taken to ensure that the steering cross arm which operates behind the engine did not rub on the bell housing or block when the steering wheel was turned. The last problem was to hook up the Capri wiring harness to the Alpine wiring. John finally decided to use the complete Capri wiring harness attaching it directly to the Alpine dash. He even incorporated Capri switches, clutch and turn signal stalk. The turn signal stalk now operates the high beams and horn in the Sunbeam.

The Transmission
Rather than go through the problem of adapting the old Alpine 4 speed to the V-6, John elected to go with the newer lighter Capri transmission. Using two pieces of angle iron, the Capri transmission bolts right to the cross frame of the Alpine. Again, no cutting was necessary. The shift linkage was shortened 4 inches and a metal box was constructed and attached to the transmission to support the stock Capri shift lever. The lever was bent at a 30 degree angle to allow clearance between the radio and the shift knob. The Capri mechanical clutch linkage was adapted to the Alpine clutch pedal using parts of the Capri pedal arm. Finally, the Capri yoke was welded to the Alpine drive shaft.

The Rear End
Initially the 3.89 to 1 Alpine rear end was retained. Although satisfactory, it was not a perfect mate for the transmission and gas mileage and drive-ability suffered. Therefore, the Capri rear end was used to make the complete drive train compatible. This was a simple swap, requiring only the welding of the spring pads and shock mounts from the Alpine rear end to the Capri rear end. Helper springs were added and four Capri wheels sporting Goodyear Rally A60 X 13″ tires gave the new Alpine traction.

Finishing Touches
The finishing touches included the addition of a set of bucket seats from an MG Midget, a TR6 leather steering wheel, and a coat of 1977 Ford Jade Green paint.

The final project is indeed a “Mini Tiger”. The only outward change is a V-6 emblem where the 1725cc four emblem used to be. The Alpine/Capri handles smoothly since no changes have taken place in the chassis and the V-6 weighs no more than the old four it replaced. Rear wheel track using the Capri rear end has changed from 48″ to 53” but this poses no problems in handling. It is necessary to cut the inside lip of rear wheel opening if wide tires are used but this is required in many swaps and poses no real problem.

John now has a sharp fast sports car with classic lines for less than 2000 dollars and he enjoys having Alpine drivers follow him around trying to find out when Sunbeam built a V-6 model,

John Thomson

SUNBEAM ALPINE V
2600 V-6
PREPARED BY: John H, Thomson

VEHICLE DATA
ENGINE
Type V6 Capri (1973)
Displacement 155 cu in (2540 cc)
Carburetion 1 x 2 bbl Weber
Power 115 bhp
Red Line 5700 rpm
TRANSMISSION
Type 4 speed all synchro
Gear Ratios 1st - 3.65:1
2nd - 1.95:1
3rd - 1.35:1
4th - 1.00:1
AXLE RATIO 3.22:1
VEHICLE WEIGHT 2250 lb
TRACK F/R 51.75" / 53.00"
WHEELS / TIRES 13" x 5.0" Goodyear Rally GT A60 x 13
PERFORMANCE zero to:
30 mph 3.2 seconds
60 mph 9.2 seconds
75 mph 14.6 seconds
Standing 1/4 mile 17.6 sec @ 82 mph
SPEEDS IN GEARS
1st 32 mph @ 5800 rpm
2nd 60 mph @ 5800 rpm
3rd 86 mph @ 5800 rpm
4th 122 mph @ 5800 rpm

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
If you want HP install a modern in-line 4. I can install a turbo or super charger on my 1.6 Mazda Miata motor and get 250+ HP, both are kits that will bolt right on in the room I already have . I think the 120 HP Miata in stock form is a lot of fun in a Sunbeam and no weight gain.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Very interesting article! I'd love to see photos of the build to see how different it is from the way we are doing it today. As for it being the first 2.8 conversion, does anyone know when Jose did his first one? Just curious.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
If you want HP install a modern in-line 4. I can install a turbo or super charger on my 1.6 Mazda Miata motor and get 250+ HP, both are kits that will bolt right on in the room I already have . I think the 120 HP Miata in stock form is a lot of fun in a Sunbeam and no weight gain.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Very interesting article! I'd love to see photos of the build to see how different it is from the way we are doing it today. As for it being the first 2.8 conversion, does anyone know when Jose did his first one? Just curious.
An email I have from Jose from May 2007, says he began in 1975

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor

I also have an e-mail from Jose indicating that he did the first Ford 2.8 V6 conversion in 1975. The Ford 2.8 V6 was not introduced until the 1974 model year, so ......

FWIW, the article that DanR posted was about a Ford 2.6 V6 (introduced in MY 1969) conversion, so it can't possibly be the first 2.8 conversion. The article also indicates a 4-speed transmission, not a T-5. The 2.6 heads only have two exhaust ports so, all in all, a very different conversion.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I found this article, dated May 1996, that says he’s been playing around with Alpines for over a decade. But for some reason, I seem to recall, though I can’t provide a reference, that his first conversion was a 2.6, but I could be wrong.

https://teae.org/alpine-v6-conversion/