• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Cologne 2.8l turbo

EdSua

Donation Time
Has anyone installed Turbo Technics kit. It seem to be the easiest way to get 250 hp. Some Capris came with a twin turbo

EdSua

Donation Time
Apparently Turbo Technics stopped making kits for the 2.8, but there are a few used ones in the market in Europe.
If you google ford 2.8 turbo, there is a lot of info
Capri 2.8l came out with a twin turbo before going to the 2.9, which also could have a twin turbo
Here is one example of many
http://www.turbosport.co.uk/showthread.php?t=167430

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Be prepared to do a lot of fabrication, cutting and welding with zero guidance, other than what you think will work. Typically, I find that what works today will not work in two months because the space requirements other components that had been overlooked. Most of my best work for the N/A four banger ends up in the junk pile. I have found that "universal fit" means it actually fits nothing, but can be adapted to work with most anything. That is good, as it gives you ideas and something to work with.

If 250 hp is all your wanting, look at a 2.3 turbo Lima. They can be purchased assembled and there is a good market place of custom components. In addition, several have been installed in Alpines with streetable hp in the 350-400 hp range. "All" you have to do is select your build, assemble the engine and install it. That will probably give you lots of adventures.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
At the risk of stating the obvious, you are aware that Jose did a Turbo V6 years ago? It was written up in the TE/AE newsletter. I could email you a copy of the article if you haven't seen it.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yes, I was aware that Jose did a turbo 2.8, was not aware that it was "written up", other than in a very general fashion. The obvious question is would it make the installation "easy"?

Bill

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
I'll dig out the article. I think "easy" is in the eye of the beholder! Let me know how/where to send it.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Truthfully, there is nothing easy when your adding stuff to an already stuffed Alpine engine bay. Send to weblue at comcast.com How? PDF's seem to work good on my end. But anything that is within the realm of "free".

Bill

EDIT: mistake on the email address. It should be .net

Last edited:

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Has anyone installed Turbo Technics kit. It seem to be the easiest way to get 250 hp
Just a thought for consideration: Vader, Jim Ellis's S3, was one of the fastest cars I have ever driven in. I don't know if it was up to 250 hp, but it was neck-snappingly fast. One of the key ways he got there was by applying nearly every trick documented on The Ranger Station (https://therangerstation.com/tech_library/2_8L_Performance.shtml) and using a modified 2.9 crankshaft. Jim documented every step of his journey on an earlier version of our forum, which I printed out one night, just to be safe. Mike Hartman was nice enough to host a pdf of that documentation: V6 Articles Archive. While it might not quite get you to 250 HP, I am willing to bet it would ultimately be cheaper and easier than turbocharging.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Just a thought for consideration: Vader, Jim Ellis's S3, was one of the fastest cars I have ever driven in. I don't know if it was up to 250 hp, but it was neck-snappingly fast. One of the key ways he got there was by applying nearly every trick documented on The Ranger Station (https://therangerstation.com/tech_library/2_8L_Performance.shtml) and using a modified 2.9 crankshaft. Jim documented every step of his journey on an earlier version of our forum, which I printed out one night, just to be safe. Mike Hartman was nice enough to host a pdf of that documentation: V6 Articles Archive. While it might not quite get you to 250 HP, I am willing to bet it would ultimately be cheaper and easier than turbocharging.

The easiest (and almost certainly cheapest) way to get to 250 HP with a Series Alpine is to install a SBF V8 engine. All the engineering was done 50 years ago and all of the necessary parts and pieces are known and available.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Bill,
Sorry, but I am having trouble locating the article. I may have not have saved it when I created my notebook of tech tips. I will send if I find it.
TR

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Sorry, but I am having trouble locating the article. I may have not have saved it when I created my notebook of tech tips. I will send if I find it.
Is this the one you were thinking of?

Attachments

• Alpine V6 Conversion.pdf
    621.2 KB · Views: 28