• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Clutch Disc for V6 Conversion used with the T5

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Paid a visit to Ram Clutch in Columbia, SC yesterday. Had a fruitful visit.

First, I took a couple clutch disc with me to make certain we were on the same page!!

One was a disc for use with the Mutt II flywheel and a late model T5, 10 spline, One & 1/16" dia.

The other was a Ranger/Bronco II 20 spline.

I came away with a new heavy duty clutch disc Ram Clutch Item number 375. It is 9.5 diameter x one & 1/16" -10 spline $150. Price may be a bit high to some folks, but it is of good quality and "available".

I now have a source for the Ranger/Bronco II clutch disc with the center applicable to the late Mustang T5,
one & 1 /16" 10 spline $75.00, which I believe is a great buy. It too is a heavy duty disc RCLSpecial Part number D 1228. I think it is possible to go to the Range/Bronco II/Aerostar flywheel which are available new for around $60, the R/B II pressure plate and the Ram Clutch disc part number D 1228 for a suitable replacement to the Mutt II flywheel that is scarce....

Any comments are welcome.

Attachments

• V6 Ranger and Bronco II old Clutch disc and New Clutch disc I had made        20180709_135459.jpg
    V6 Ranger and Bronco II old Clutch disc and New Clutch disc I had made 20180709_135459.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 24
  • V6 Mutt II DIsc flywheel side for T5            20180710_191057.jpg
    V6 Mutt II DIsc flywheel side for T5 20180710_191057.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 26
  • V6 Mutt II DIsc Pressure Plate side for T5            20180710_191044.jpg
    V6 Mutt II DIsc Pressure Plate side for T5 20180710_191044.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 24

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
The disc is not an issue in relation to the hydraulic bearing.

I made this post to help provide info on the availability of a substitute clutch disc for the MuttII.

A possible replacement using a Ranger /BroncoII /Aerostar flywheel could prove worthwhile.

The modified disc with 10 spline will work with the T5.

Next step will be correct starter

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim &all, I read the post you referred to and found an interesting bit of information, Jim Ellis made mention someone had a Ranger / BroncoII Flywheel that did not have the raised center like most of them do.....

I have one of each, one with the raised center and one without.

Not knowing for sure and thinking "all" of the R/B II raised centers, I thought I had an extra MuttII. Rats!!!

I am trying to figure the correct starter for use with the R/BII flywheel. I have the clutch disc issue resolved. Any ideas on the correct starter?

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mr Bill, I am not at all familiar with the M5R1. I do know it has 20 to 25 spline disc and that is part of what I was trying to resolve. ALSO, the dia of the clutchy disc, and the bolt pattern of the applicable flywheel. (Mutt II all the way up to the OHV 4.0 V6's have 6 bolt pattern).

Another with me being unfamiliar with the M5 is the size (dia) of the body and the length overall. Believe the last time I looked it was 26" +

I have a Ranger/Bronco II tranny (internal slave) sitting in storage, Guess I need to pull and take a good look:)

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dan, I don't think there are any parts on the M5R1 that would help with the T5 installation. But the M5 is a bolt on (with two ratio choices) to 2.8. The drawbacks, 1. the shifter is placed about 6" too far forward. 2. It is heavy, about 90 pounds! But the weight is placed in an ideal place. Low and centralized. An installer can choose to live with the forward placed shifter, much like they do with the rearward placed T5, or I can fab up a remote shifter that will place place it anywhere you want it. I can also change the shifter throw to accommodate individual preference.

It is big, but nobody has told me my trans tunnel is too large. It doe not require rebuilding the tunnel.

Bill

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bill,

As you noted, the M5 transmission comes in two flavors. The standard M5R1 has pretty short gearing, but 1st through 4th gear ratios in the M5R1HD (used in the 2001 - 2011 4.0 V6 Ranger) are very close to the V6 T-5 ratios.

1st gear is 3.40 versus 3.35
2nd gear is 2.05 versus 1.99
3rd gear is 1.31 versus 1.33
4th gear is 1.00 for both​

Fifth gear in the M5's is 0.79:1 versus 0.68:1 with the V6 T-5. The Ford 3.8 V6 has a lot of mid-range torque and can handle the rather tall 0.68:1 5th gear. IMO, the 0.79:1 5th gear is probably a better choice with a lower torque 2.0 / 2.3 / 2.5 / 2.8 engine.

With stock diameter rear tires (23"), something like a 3.25:1 rear axle ratio would make a really nice combination.

1st gear @ 6,000 RPM = 35.6 MPH
2nd gear @ 6,000 RPM = 59.1 MPH
3rd gear @ 6,000 RPM = 92.5 MPH
4th gear @ 6,000 RPM = 121.2 MPH
5th gear = 2,738 RPM @ 70 MPH​

Alternatives are good.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Fergusonic, If you use the Mustang Flywheel:
Mustang II Clutch disk.
Mustang II Starter
Mustang II Pressure plate.

If you utilize the Flywheel from: Ranger/Bronco II :
Custom clutch disk (Ranger disk with Ford T5 spline)
Ranger/Bronco II Starter
Ranger/Bronco II Pressure plate

Fergusonic

Donation Time
Fergusonic, If you use the Mustang Flywheel:
Mustang II Clutch disk.
Mustang II Starter
Mustang II Pressure plate.

If you utilize the Flywheel from: Ranger/Bronco II :
Custom clutch disk (Ranger disk with Ford T5 spline)
Ranger/Bronco II Starter
Ranger/Bronco II Pressure plate
Ranger/Bronco II 2.8 V6 Flywheel or the 2.9 V6 Flywheel??

Last edited: