• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Chicken Little

phatt

Donation Time
Melting ice

Just got back from Alaska. First of all, if you think July is a good month to visit Alaska think again! It was freezing! I took a wind breaker for the balmy weather. What a mistake! Anyway, back to the subject at hand. I visited the Mendenhall Glacier. This glacier has been receding since the late 1700's. If I heard correctly it has not accelarated during the last 100 years. Correct me if I am wrong, but, there were no cars in the late 1700's. Not even Sunbeams. So, as far as I am concerned, we will have to do alot more research on this global warming thing. Especially considering that several of the other glaciers are NOT receding, they are in fact advancing! Have a nice Sunbeamy day.;)

skywords

Donation Time
Just got back from Alaska. First of all, if you think July is a good month to visit Alaska think again! It was freezing! I took a wind breaker for the balmy weather. What a mistake! Anyway, back to the subject at hand. I visited the Mendenhall Glacier. This glacier has been receding since the late 1700's. If I heard correctly it has not accelarated during the last 100 years. Correct me if I am wrong, but, there were no cars in the late 1700's. Not even Sunbeams. So, as far as I am concerned, we will have to do alot more research on this global warming thing. Especially considering that several of the other glaciers are NOT receding, they are in fact advancing! Have a nice Sunbeamy day.;)

Glad your home safe and thanks for the update and progress report of glacier melting.

Al Gore told me to take the bus and thats exactly what I did. I told the man that was selling the MC-5A "I'll take it" ....

Nickodell

Donation Time
Hi, Phatt: Wifey and I did a cruise up the Alaska coast a few years ago, in July, and it was a pleasant 60-65 degrees during the day. The Mendenhall glacier, the world's only drive-in glacier, is something, isn't it? You don't expect the deep blue color of the ice, which the Park Ranger explained is due to its being compressed by the weight of all the ice above, causing a molecular change and becoming much denser. He said that if you used glacier chips as ice cubes in your cocktail it would take forever to melt.

Did you do the same goofing-around as I did with the huge chunk they let you go up to and lick? My wife, on the videotape she was taking, is heard to say "that's the only ice [pronounced as in Alabama] you're going to get today, buster!"

I was speaking to a cop in Skagway who said that car theft is virtually unknown. When I asked why, he said "where are they going to drive it to? All the vehicles come in by ship. There are no roads out of here.":)