• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Charlton Heston's death...

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
apology usually applies to an expression of regret for a mistake or wrong with implied admission of guilt or fault and with or without reference to mitigating or extenuating circumstances ( Merriam Webster )

I fail to see where Mr. Heston personally owed anyone an apology. He was not involved in either crime. Nor was the NRA. Why did he need to do something that would imply that he was in some way related to the actions of criminals involved in heinous crimes? I would say that he abruptly ended an interview that was designed to cast him as an evil villain no matter his response.

All he had to say was he was sorry if the Rally may have brought back painful memories for those that had lived through the attack or lost friends or loved ones. If I remember correctly, that is all that was asked of him. Is that assuming any responsibility, other than that of a decent human being? Would it cast him as an "evil villain"?

"What, me apologize?" Are those the words of a great man?

Perhaps he was already senile. That would be the only excuse that cuts it with me.

Bill

Nickodell

Donation Time
his failure to apologize for any mental anguish or grief these events might have created sealed the deal for me. Bill

And Michael (AKA Roger) Moore rehashing it in his movies to make some more greasy bucks wouldn't be causing mental anguish or grief to those who lost loved ones?

At least Charlton Heston didn't use the tragedy to make money.

And Moore and his sycophants made much of his grilling Heston about Columbine and the NRA rally, where the 80-year-old got confused and had to leave the room. Remember, that was in 2002, the same year that his Alzheimer's was disclosed.

Moore is and was a bloated liar who takes movie clips and interviews and stitches them together to change time and place so as to present events and speeches in juxtaposition that never happened. When questioned about it, his excuse is that he is making films for "entertainment," not documentaries.

A liar? Yep. Throughout his career, Moore has portrayed himself as a Flint native whose consciousness is shaped by the city's industrial experiences. "Ben [Hamper] and I both grew up in Flint, Michigan, the sons of factory workers," he writes in the introduction of Hamper's book Rivethead. His movie Roger & Me constantly hearkens back to Moore's life in Flint. His speaker's bureau describes him as "born in Flint," his web site calls him a "Flint native," and his production company's web site informs us that "Michael Moore was born in Flint, Michigan, where his father and most of his relatives worked in the automobile factories…." Asked to describe the source of his empathy for the worker, Moore told People's Weekly World that "I think it's just the function of growing up in Flint, Michigan." These claims are reflected in almost every biography: Moore is described as "a Flint native," "the man from Flint," or as hailing from his "hometown of Flint."

In fact, Moore was born and raised in Davison, Michigan, and attended Davison High School. Davison is the wealthy, white "bedroom town" of the area, largely inhabited by management, not labor. Davison's median household income is almost double that of Flint's, and its median house value is over twice that of Flint's. Davison's 2000 unemployment rate was a minuscule 4.6 percent (Flint's was 14%), and its poverty rate was half the national average. Davison is also lily-white to a staggering degree: African-Americans make up only one-half of one percent of its population.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Nick, started to read your post and saw it was just another one of your "kill the messenger" rants. They wear pretty thin, very quickly. You should spend some time watching his flicks and discussing them, not him.

But feel free to rant about my shortcomings. It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make to keep you busy.

Bill

Nickodell

Donation Time
Bill. No rant, but your "started to read your post" says it all; i.e. never mind the facts.

Either Moore is a liar or he isn't. Either he produces dishonest films which manipulate and transposes data, speeches, dates and times for money and notoriety, or he doesn't. If he is a liar and dishonest I wouldn't have him killed, but nobody should pay him any respect. I will let others draw their own conclusions. My final word on the subject.

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
I'm with Nick on the shameful way Moore treated Charlton Heston and how he manipulates things for his grand effects. He's a skilled propagandist, to be sure, but so was Goebbels. I was primed to appreciate his film on health care but gave up long before it finished in disgust at its one-sided approach. I've corresponded with folks in the UK who admit, though their health care is free, that there's a lot to be desired. There's just so much dillying and dallying with objective facts that one can take. I'm a Democrat, by the way.

Jim E

Donation Time
Geeze guys Heston was an actor made a couple watchable movies, he was just some guy. Now Omegaman I remeber going to the theater to see liked it but most of the stuff he made [O man included] is pretty much B movie.

I did really like the little gangster guy, what was his name., in 10 commandments.... think of his acent "Yeah see, where's your god now Moses, see... mercy who cast that thing

Anyone ever read the short story , maybe Hienlien wrote it, about a future where most everyone carried a gun but those who did not were call sheep. Sheep had to be pretty calm, and the gun carriers went around chalenging each other and shooting it out or just puttin a cap in anybodys A who did not follow the rules. Sort of feels like that story here in SC it is unreal how many folks have concel carry.

Actors polititions what is the difference they do not live in the real world. Think we should ask them the how much is a gallon of milk question, just for fun. Not that thier answers would mean anything it would just be a good giggle to see how fast they could turn the question to something else.

"We could not get to the milk becuse we were taking sniper rounds...

"I drank the milk at church but never heard my pastor say anything bad about it at the times I was there...

"It is up to us to see that Iraq can have a glass of milk, even if it take 100 years...

"At the current rate of warming all the milk will be spoiled by the time our grand kids want a glass

"We need a system where everyone can have milk like in the UK

"Everyone has the right to milk you can have my milk when you pry it from my cold dead hands

"Yeah milk see, wheres your milk now Moses

and my personal favorite...

"bout, bout a hundred dollars... hundred dollars

Oh wait that one is how much a gallon of gas is, hahhahahahah

Heston was cool he made some fun movies had a good run and sounds like he did pretty much what he wanted to.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Oh, rubbish. Did you actually watch the entire interview with Heston? I read about this controversy before I saw the film and fully expected to witness a doddering, vacant shell of a man in his mid-70s being bullied and ridiculed by Moore. Instead, Heston was not only lucid, he held his ground during the interview and appeared to be was no more out of touch than Reagan was during his second term. His only real mistake was casually mentioning the taboo subject of race & guns, which brought the PC crowd down on him.

Although Bowling for Columbine was released after Heston announced he had been diagnosed with early symptoms of Altzheimer's, the interview actually took place months before the announcement. Who knows? Maybe the fact that he even let Michael Moore in his house to do an interview was the first tip to family & friends that something was amiss.

I agree with you on SICKO though. I thought it was an incoherrant bunch of 60 Minutes-style expose pieces strung randomly together. I could barely keep my eyes open. We spend 50% more of our GDP than the 2nd-most expensive country in the industrialized world (Switzerland) on health care, with no better health outcomes and many gross inequities, and Moore felt he could best make his point by visiting Cuba?!?

I'm with Nick on the shameful way Moore treated Charlton Heston and how he manipulates things for his grand effects. He's a skilled propagandist, to be sure, but so was Goebbels. I was primed to appreciate his film on health care but gave up long before it finished in disgust at its one-sided approach. I've corresponded with folks in the UK who admit, though their health care is free, that there's a lot to be desired. There's just so much dillying and dallying with objective facts that one can take. I'm a Democrat, by the way.