• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

ARP rod bolts and nuts?

mightyohm

Donation Time
I called ARP and they don't list rod bolts and nuts for the Sunbeam. I know these exist.. Is there a part number for these or was it a one time deal?

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I don't think it was a one-time thing, but they stopped making them a long time ago. I doubt there is enough demand to justify the production costs. NOS ones turn up on eBay from time to time and someone here might have a set they're willing to part with, but I don't believe they are available any other way, unless there is a cross-reference that would work.

greenbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mightyohm, perhaps it's time for a 'one off' batch buy. Between this list and the FaceBook group (more UK folk there), there might be enough demand for ARP to make a batch.
Cheers,
Paul.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
They were made "once" as a result of Ramon Spontelli having a batch run.

They were marked "PFRT/MP-12" which I am sure Ramon created the part number so this part# may not be helpful for ARP.

The ARP instruction sheet affixed to the back of the package says "Sun Beam Alpine 11/32 rod bot".

BTW "PFRT" stood for pointy fin racing team.

mightyohm

Donation Time
ARP doesn't have any record of that part number. I'm going to send samples to them and have them match them against existing inventory, but it sounds like these parts would be custom and fairly expensive. Is Ramon still around?

mightyohm

Donation Time
Related question - regarding the stock rod bolts - I thought that these bolts are supposed to be a press fit? I've had a couple bolts literally fall out of the rod after removing nuts and separating the cap. This is on a motor with literally 0 miles on it so it's not related to wear. I noticed this when I rebuilt my 1592 also - there's always at least one or two bolts that refuse to stay in place.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Early small journal SBC were 11/32". I used them in Buick V6 and V8. I wonder if they would work?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
ARP doesn't have any record of that part number. I'm going to send samples to them and have them match them against existing inventory, but it sounds like these parts would be custom and fairly expensive. Is Ramon still around?

I havent corresponded with him in perhaps 5 years.

A person could easily find his land line# as he lives in Costa Mesa CA (and the interweb is your friend).

I am surprised that ARP doesnt have any record that they made them, I have two packs of them here in front of me and would offer a picture of them if I were not sure that it would be a waste of time.

Last edited:

mightyohm

Donation Time
The guys on the phone at ARP didn't seem too interested in digging for information, but gave me the address to send samples to. I think the sample department might be more helpful. Is there an ARP part number on either of those packs?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
The guys on the phone at ARP didn't seem too interested in digging for information, but gave me the address to send samples to. I think the sample department might be more helpful. Is there an ARP part number on either of those packs?

Send me your email addr and I will take some digital photos you can show to ARP.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Not sure I completely understand... Is the goal to replicate NOS ARP-specific bolts, or s it to turn to ARP for 'stock' bolts?

Speedy Spares lists bolts and nuts for later series. If the goal is a stateside clone of OEM, Speedy sells by the individual bolt so that would be a way to avoid breaking up a set due to potential loss.

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
There was a guy that used to haunt this forum He mad many sets of the ARP bolts many years ago. If anyone knows him maybe a shout out to get the part number for the bolts
His name is Ramon Spontinelli (sp)

RootesRacer

Donation Time
There was a guy that used to haunt this forum He mad many sets of the ARP bolts many years ago. If anyone knows him maybe a shout out to get the part number for the bolts
His name is Ramon Spontinelli (sp)

Ramon was mentioned earlier in the thread.

He made around 20 sets and when they were gone, they were gone.

There is no ARP part number on them, the label on them was added by Ramon after he received them.

I have sent a photo of a new unopened set to Jeff (Mightyohm) and if he wishes, he can post it to this thread.

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
A web check of current possible ARP 11/32 Rod bolts:

114-6001 (16) AMC.......2.100 long

206-6002 (8) Triumph 2.300 long

202-6007 (12) Nissan ..2.425 long

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
I measured a 1725 rod bolt at 2.475 so the AMC is too short, without rod mods.

And that tosses the cheapest option...

It looks like the Nissan bolts are as close as I can find.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I have a card with a complete set of the Sunbeam ARP rod bolts (NOS, never opened).
The nomenclature on the card says:
PFRT/MP-12
Pointy Fin Race Team
(address deleted)
Jan

Last edited:

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jan, Yes they are out there (the original PFRT/MP-12 batch) and I even have some on the shelf.

BUT, they were made a LONG time ago and the odds of someone else having made a suitable ARP bolt

may be good. And as it turns out, Nissan has a likely bolt.

But until I find out what else is out there, I don't/didn't want to USE UP my old supply.

Last edited: