• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Are all 67 Alpines positive ground ?

Clois Harlan

Donation Time
Even though they have an alternator?
Mine was a basket case and in my battery box I have the red cable grounded (earth ) and myself black cable to my engine bay.
Also, can I change polarity?

thanks in advance for any help.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
According to the picture of the data plate that you previously posted, you have a Series V Alpine and all S-V Alpines left the factory with an alternator and negative ground.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Your S-V should have a red cable going from the positive post of the battery to the engine compartment and a black cable going from the negative post of the battery to ground, but strange things have been known to happen to the electrical system of 50+ year old British sports cars.

Last edited:

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Don't rely on the color of the cable. Look at the symbols on the battery. The Positive battery terminal will have a "+" sign molded in near it. .

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
I was reading about a guy who bought a motorcycle that had been re-wired and EVERY WIRE was red!!!! Strange things happen with old vehicles.

Tim R

Clois Harlan

Donation Time
I never rely on colors unless they are factory and I have a blue print in hand. I just wanted to make sure there wasn’t some mid year change.
Thanks to all of you. I am waiting on my engine to be waiting on my engine from my builder. He is just rebuilding the heads and putting in hardened seats, turning my crank, cleaning up my cylinders,re-sizing my rods etc.
If you are in the mid-south and need a great machinist I highly recommend Stanley Morton in Broken Arrow, OK.. He is a nationally known and respected engine builder.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Your S-V should have a red cable going from the positive post of the battery to the engine compartment and a black cable going from the negative post of the battery to ground, but strange things have been known to happen to the electrical system of 50+ year old British sports cars.

FYI - My series V has a black cable from the positive terminal to the engine bay and a bare braided cable going from the negative terminal to the chassis. I believe they are the original cables. I don't recall seeing any stock series Vs having a red battery cable.

Mike

Clois Harlan

Donation Time
That’s how mine is too.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I’m a rookie with English cars and their 67 engineering. I still have a lot more questions.
In my last picture can anyone tell me what the part is I have circled. The other pictures are how the under hood loo
This car was a true barn find having been parked in a barn just north of Tulsa since 1988 and I have been working my way up from replacing rusted panels, fuel tanks , brakes and obvious suspension issues. Now I am working on the electrical which is my weakest skill.

Attachments

• 6B255F44-2F21-4DD2-9681-27FDB7B4CB96.jpeg
    6B255F44-2F21-4DD2-9681-27FDB7B4CB96.jpeg
    334.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 758EC81F-D785-4545-BB3E-BA6EFE7CDF8D.jpeg
    758EC81F-D785-4545-BB3E-BA6EFE7CDF8D.jpeg
    327 KB · Views: 46
  • D7CD0919-93D4-45DF-A23E-C590E63014E3.jpeg
    D7CD0919-93D4-45DF-A23E-C590E63014E3.jpeg
    326.2 KB · Views: 47

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
I can relate as I was faced with nearly the same when obtaining my Alpine. Cable from battery box POS to engine compartment is black and the wire for NEG to ground was red. I changed that wire to black and taped red tape around the black POS wire to bring colors to what the average person expects in a negative ground vehicle.

You have several interesting things going on there in those photos. That 4TR control box normally is mounted where you have a starter solenoid on the side of the engine compartment. I also see what looks like a ballast resistor on the firewall and that should normally be over near the coil. If you are aiming to restore to stock set up, I don't see the relay (6RA) in there anywhere. Finally I don't see the 3AW warning light simulator. These too would be mounted over where the 4TR should be on the side. Those will be in the diagrams Mike sent links for.

Many owners go with after-market setups as I eventually did for the alternator that eliminate the need for the 4TR, 6RA and 3AW as the newer alternators handle the functions these components provided.

Rick

Where the 4TR, 6RA and 3 AW would normally go, along with a stock type solenoid and it's location:

P1140239r.jpg

Clois Harlan

Donation Time
I really appreciate your response Rick, since nothing was attached I was using mounting holes to mounting brackets. I will examine your pictures and correct my location it components.
I have exceeded the value of this car already with virtually all new components from all new interior, engine and trans rebuild, electrical and yet to be done is the paint, chrome and soft top ( I have two conv top frames but no clue how it is installed).
All that being said I am interested in a finished car that is safe and somewhat reliable and less to the minute intricacies of electrical accuracy. This car is for my daughter who is a teacher in Arkansas and only intends to drive to and from school. This Alpine is her dream car from when she was a student at OU back in the late 90’s.
I can’t thank all of you on this forum enough for your guidance and experience with the Sunbeam.

Clois Harlan

Donation Time
Rick,
From left to right on you photo is the black box your voltage Regulator , next your horn relay, and the silver cylinder your warning light simulated (what could I substitute for this)?
How about a photo of the other side of your firewall ?
Thanks again.

Clois

Attachments

• 050D43FE-5D84-4D29-8F7F-ED7CF4916370.jpeg
    050D43FE-5D84-4D29-8F7F-ED7CF4916370.jpeg
    351.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Clois,

If you have the original alternator, you can replace it with a modern one that eliminates the need for the relay, control box, and warning light. Do a forum search for alternator and you will find multiple threads on that topic. You may need a modified alternator bracket and possibly a different length V belt to use a replacement alternator. It depends upon which alternator you go with.

Tom Hayden did a write-up for installing a Hitachi alternator: http://mhartman.net/files/sunbeam/Hitachi 14231 Alternator wiring rev 2.pdf

Another write-up here: http://www.team.net/www/rootes/sunbeam/alpine/mk1-5/techtips/altconv.html

Mike