• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Amazing find

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
I regard myself very lucky ultimately having found this nice item:

IMG_20190423_203316.jpg

It was stored in a cellar not very far from my home for 50+ years. After the owner passed away the grandson tried to sell it off via eBay as a " Tiger" piece. How wrong he was ;). Who can identify it ?

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Correct ! That's an early Series tonneau cover - the one that clamps into the trunk lid. Made for a LHD car.
Perfect original touch for my SI ...

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Cleaned and trial fitted it today. Not too bad isn't it. Just wonder whether I should drill the holes for the pins in the trunk apertures...
IMG_20190501_195313.jpg

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Were there two tonneaus for the early Series? I had an Early Series II and used the tonneau a lot, but the trunk lid clamp does not seem at all familiar.

Bill

Gary T

Gold Level Sponsor
I also have a Series II cover and it does not have the trunk lid clamps. Mine has a strap in the inside middle that attaches to the console. Does your cover have that strap?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
My tonneau had the center strap. Don't know what that means. The tonneau change must have been done with the introduction of the Series II. Production of the series started 9-12-60. The grease gun was dropped from the tool kit by chassis #1331, chassis #1800 was produced 12/60. My car had the grease gun, so it was a very early II, produced in the fall of 1960. I purchased the car on Labor Day, 1963. It was dealer new with 127 miles and a tankful of stale gas. It was a three year old car and titled as a 1963.

So don't anybody get their undies wadded up because they see something impossible, say a 1964 Series II. It happened.

Bill

alpine_64

Donation Time
All the factory s3 onwards covers have the strap to the console to stop them flapping when driving with passenger seat covered.

The tonneau bernd has with the studs in the rain gutters was used on SI/II but the more standard one finishing at the rear level with the front of the hinges was allso avaialble.

I figure the boot one has 2 x downsides.

A. You have to open the boot to take it off.
B. The studs in the drain channels could leak or cause rust.

Still a nice find.

65beam

Donation Time
My tonneau had the center strap. Don't know what that means. The tonneau change must have been done with the introduction of the Series II. Production of the series started 9-12-60. The grease gun was dropped from the tool kit by chassis #1331, chassis #1800 was produced 12/60. My car had the grease gun, so it was a very early II, produced in the fall of 1960. I purchased the car on Labor Day, 1963. It was dealer new with 127 miles and a tankful of stale gas. It was a three year old car and titled as a 1963.

So don't anybody get their undies wadded up because they see something impossible, say a 1964 Series II. It happened.

Bill
Bill,
There was a fastback Alpine in the Harrisburg area that was owned by a guy that was the dealer when the car was new. TT said it was never titled until the owner sold it maybe 10 years ago. Since all he had was the paper work from Rootes you wonder what year was put on the title. The LeMans were built on series 2 chassis and I have two that the bodies were built the same week in March of 1962 but are titled 1963. The third car doesn't show on the production charts on this site but I did just receive the Heritage Certificate from Bob Allan at the Rootes Archive and there is very little info on it including there is no record of the car ever having been registered when built along with no dealer name or first owner. It was built the week ending 3/8/1962. It's titled a 1963. Things did happen.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yes, there were 2 different early tonneau designs. Have the later one without the trunk extensions also. My theory is the one which is shown here must be the earlier SI version. My middle 60 SI doesn't have the trunk pegs nor even the holes for them. Or were they just provided when the tonneau option was ordered ?!
Was always wondering how this weird fixing by the trunk actually worked. There is a thick lip which clamps between the lid and the upper deck panel. You have to fix the rear first and then pull it forward. Think the idea was to save rear deck pegs which could have fouled the optional hardtop. I find the canvas loops in the front very helpful to open up the lift a dot pegs. Remember the early front pegs sit very much forward compared to the later series.
Believe disvantages - i.e. opening of the trunk - were the reasons why Rootes changed the design with introduction of the SII. Still my theory though - if anybody has more facts, pls. let us know...

Limey

Donation Time
That's a lovely shape. It's why I prefer Alpines above Triumphs and MGs etc. I know I am very biased towards Alpines but they are lovely cars (especially when they have fins;)

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Think the early models do even look better with the factory Hardtop on :)

IMG_20190816_202124.jpg

P.S. You may have noted that it sits a bit lower in the front, which was intended during rebuild...

Last edited:

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Michael,

yes that are 13 X 6 Revolution wheels. Tires are 185/70 X 13. Thought the black centres with the polished outer rims would give a nice contrast to the car colour. At the time when I did that restoration in the late eighties/early nineties Revos were a pretty common fit on British cars...

alpine_64

Donation Time
Bernd,

I always like the revolites. I recently bought a set of chevoit hustler alloys for my race car, they are like a 4 spoke version of the American torque thrust wheels.

Ive been debating black or gunmetal grey centres with polished rim or maybe have a satin mid grey rim like the american racing mags used in period

index.php

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Interesting wheels. Never seen them before. They do look extremely good and very period !
If I were you I 'ld go gunmetal centres with polished rims...

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
"If I were you I 'd go gunmetal centres with polished rims..."
With a Rootes emblem on the center caps!

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Certainly a good idea. I just just wonder why the centre caps are inclined. Should see in reality or is it just an optical camera error ...