• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Amazing find

alpine_64

Donation Time
They are conical to an oval centre.. Will be running without caps.

Here are a set for reference in gunmetal
s-l400.jpg

Limey

Donation Time
Hi Bernd and all,
I'm having a spares clear out and to be honest I'd forgotten I had a NOS 3 dot rear tonneau. I won't need it as my next resto will have an Ashley hard top which will not be coming off. Thought I'd post a pic with the instructions and the cover. Shame I don't have the original box.

How do you tell if left or right hand drive? By the number of the pleats at the front edge?

Oliver
IMG_3329.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3328.JPG
    IMG_3328.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3330.JPG
    IMG_3330.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_3331.JPG
    IMG_3331.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3332.JPG
    IMG_3332.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
At some point my sii had one of these. Sadly now a cover made to fit those pegs.

Oliver you putting that on ebay or trading for other rare finds? o_O

Limey

Donation Time
At some point my sii had one of these. Sadly now a cover made to fit those pegs.

Oliver you putting that on ebay or trading for other rare finds? o_O

Not sure about ebay. It reaches a wider market and gets a higher price but parts don't necessarily get to those that would really appreciate them and actually fit and use them. I have a few rare bits but they wont be going on the next resto so time to move them on. In the UK we have a very good spares day that helps us keep spares moving but Covid has scuppered that.

I keep meaning to sell the lot but never get round to it. I think I'm a bit of a hoarder but I have to keep reminding myself that it's just dead money sitting on a shelf if I'm not going to fit them. What do I need with (and how did I end up with) 7 sets of Rootes Irvin seat belt sets?? I did find a NOS Overdrive at the back which I forgot I had which was nice. The pics are from 2 boxes. Another 8 to dig out and sort through....

Attachments

• IMG_3347.JPG
    IMG_3347.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_3345.JPG
    IMG_3345.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_3348.JPG
    IMG_3348.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_3346.JPG
    IMG_3346.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 80

alpine_64

Donation Time
Ok.... Im still head spinning. At the belts and tool rolls... But the belts.... You should contact Lance...

Limey

Donation Time
Ok.... Im still head spinning. At the belts and tool rolls... But the belts.... You should contact Lance...
:DThe tool rolls in the pic are repros that me and some really helpful SAOCA guys combined to have made. Wish they were NOS, be worth a mint.

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
Not sure about ebay. It reaches a wider market and gets a higher price but parts don't necessarily get to those that would really appreciate them and actually fit and use them. I have a few rare bits but they wont be going on the next resto so time to move them on. In the UK we have a very good spares day that helps us keep spares moving but Covid has scuppered that.

I keep meaning to sell the lot but never get round to it. I think I'm a bit of a hoarder but I have to keep reminding myself that it's just dead money sitting on a shelf if I'm not going to fit them. What do I need with (and how did I end up with) 7 sets of Rootes Irvin seat belt sets?? I did find a NOS Overdrive at the back which I forgot I had which was nice. The pics are from 2 boxes. Another 8 to dig out and sort through....
Wow what a great stash

alpine_64

Donation Time
Did you spot the bonnet flash? ;) THE Holy Grail?
Yup saw it... Ignored it.... Uggliest and worst option fitted to an alpine .. Ruins a clean design by addibg useless ornament that doesn't even work in sympathy with the design...

Desirable as an object to own . but best used as you have it.. On a shelf to look at.. Not festooning a lovely dropping sunbeam bonnet line.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Oliver,

regarding the early tonneau I haven't found any identification marks nor bulges assigning it to LHD or RHD. So my theory is it can be fitted on both. The original Vinyl Material is rather soft and forgiving. Nice find though, especially the accessory instruction sheet - from my perspective it shouldn't go via eBay but on a proper original S2 car ;).

Nice parts collection. If you want to part with the valve lifter let me know. A real pitty that the spares day didn't fly this year...

Limey

Donation Time
Yup saw it... Ignored it.... Uggliest and worst option fitted to an alpine .. Ruins a clean design by addibg useless ornament that doesn't even work in sympathy with the design...

Desirable as an object to own . but best used as you have it.. On a shelf to look at.. Not festooning a lovely dropping sunbeam bonnet line.

You are 100% correct. I'll never fit it

RootesRooter

Donation Time
I have a couple of tonneau covers. Both of them have shrunk at least an inch and don't come close to reaching the pegs. Has anyone had any luck stretching them back?

alpine_64

Donation Time
I have a couple of tonneau covers. Both of them have shrunk at least an inch and don't come close to reaching the pegs. Has anyone had any luck stretching them back?
Yes.... We stretched a NOS sIV cover...
Nice 36°c day.. Left it out vynil side up on the pavement ( make sure its clean as the undersides on the NOS are the light grey under) had it weighed down at the corners...when it got very hot and supple we used large bulldog clips woth paper under the ends to stop damage to stretch amd pin it on a clothes like in the sun.. 2 days of this and we got it on.. Then left it pinned on the car for a month and put it in the sun at every chance.

Limey

Donation Time
I've not tried this on a tonneau but there is a brush on liquid that racing drivers put on their wheels before a drag. It reactivates the plasticizers in the rubber, making it soft without damage. I tried it on a rock hard rubber part and it worked a treat. Back to full pliant softness.Screenshot 2020-06-04 at 09.16.21.png

alpine_64

Donation Time
I would be hesitant to put that on the tonneau...
Its more to activate the rubber compounds and soften it.. It sinks into the rubber i would suspect it would stain the backside of the cover and create a blotchy finish on the vynil... Takes a while to activate. I looked into that for my track cars tyres last year... I didnt have enough time before the event.. Takes a couple of weeks

Limey

Donation Time
I have some somewhere and I have a ruined Tonneau so time for an experiment I think....My memory is that it was quite fast acting, on tyres at least. They brush it on half an hour before the race. Banned at UK official races though..

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
When I got my tonneau (used) it had a musty smell. I scrubbed it with soap and water and then put it in the sun to dry. Not a good idea as it shrunk about an inch or so as mentioned by RootsRooter. Attached are pictures of the "rack" I made for stretching it back out. I measured all of the stud locations and marked them on the plywood. The back end was just screwed to the board with drywall screws and a heavy washer (not real tight). The other end had a wood block with a hole in the center that was screwed to the board. I tack welded a piece of all-thread to a sheet metal tab. The tab had a #10 screw through it (tacked in place). Moistened the fabric side, covered with black plastic to warm it up (it's white). Turn the nuts a little at a time to stretch it. Worked great. Easy to put it back on if it ever needs a bit of stretch, or put it on there when it's not being used to prevent it from shrinking again.

Attachments

• 20200624_173708.jpg
    20200624_173708.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 35
  • 20200624_173728.jpg
    20200624_173728.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 20200624_173720.jpg
    20200624_173720.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 36