• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

alpine with 302 automatic

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
No magnifying glass with my browser (Safari) but the search window should be right below your name, as Aladin notes. Still, while our current search function is the best it has been in several generations of the forum, you can't beat the Google site search function, especially when you want to search something complex.

Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 4.00.43 PM.png

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Fonz, I created a new POST for your "Alpine with 302 automatic" in the Modified Alpine Section. It will keep the subject true to the intent of the TIGER Section and enlighten those of us that are interested in the Modified Alpines.
I will (Board approval) move your original post "Tiger" to the "Modified Alpine".
Looking forward to your post as the project progresses. I have several my self, all of which are very time consuming, but enjoyable,
DanR

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
are there any "interchangable parts" on the windshield "frames" between series 2 and series 3-4 Frames?? ,top maybe ? or is EVERY part of them different ? Thanks

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
are there any "interchangable parts" on the windshield "frames" between series 2 and series 3-4 Frames?? ,top maybe ? or is EVERY part of them different ? Thanks
No. There are no interchangeable structural parts between the Series II and later-production windshield frames. Again, no!

And, no again: The soft top frames, canvass and mounting points are entirely different as is the door glass (etc). No.

We discussed all this at length in October: Screen/top frames differ in materials, construction, rake and shape and, beyond the mirror and windshield, nothing can be transferred from one frame to another. You need late frames.

Unless, that is, you are willing to hack, hammer, weld, glue and cobble some sort of holder for your windshield. And since you have a GT, mounting a top frame creates more challenges since the car was designed for a hardtop only. Remember any of this, Fonz?

Mark ..... volvoguys

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
Yes, I remember the conversation. figures I would get the 1 model where it's a "it ONLY fits THIS CAR" Car ! LOL I just thought "maybe" there were Some Parts on the series 2 windshield frame I might be able to use ( Don't think the idea of "MAKING" this frame fit the car didn't cross my mind ! LOL (if it wasn't for having to change the Doors, I Might have done it) LOL

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
I am probably certifiable myself, wife says I'm type "A" ! what I started with. THIS is why original/ proper is not a priority. has come a long way in past 7 months.

Thank you for saving this one.

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
WHAT IS A GOOD INSULATION MATERIAL (BESIDES MAT) for using between the trans and the trans" tunnel" to keep heat out of the car ? I've seen alot of older cars with what looked like fiberglass insulation with foil backing. something special, or is that a fire hazard ?

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
There's some stuff at Home Depot, it's The poor Man's Dynamat. It's on the roofing aisle and it comes in a 6-in wide strips in a 15 ish foot roll.

I would be really impressed with that windshield if it was just two or three inches shorter and retained the metal garnish around the outside all the way around.

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
probably will not do that, but it Does look Great ! Now the "Body roll down" between the seats May Happen ! my 1960 corvette was like that and it was my favorite car ever, (Never should have sold it !!! 30 years ago and foolish, couldn't afford it now)