• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

alpine with 302 automatic

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
anyone ever make a "BOLT DOWN" transmission" tunnel" for their sunbeam, like they used in Triumphs ?? I was thinking it would make trans install/remove alot easier. I have to make one no matter what I do.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
The original owner of my alger project fabricated one. There is a flange crimped on floor pan and a series of sheet metal screws keeps it in places-l400 (11).png s-l400 (13).png

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
anyone ever make a "BOLT DOWN" transmission" tunnel" for their sunbeam, like they used in Triumphs ?? I was thinking it would make trans install/remove alot easier. I have to make one no matter what I do.

Triumphs are body-on-frame and the frame carries most of the vertical bending loads. Series Alpines are a unibody chassis and the transmission tunnel provides a lot (maybe most) of the longitudinal beam strength in the critical area behind the engine.

I would not recommend gutting the Series Alpine unibody and using a "bolt down" or "screwed on" transmission tunnel, but it's your car and your choice.

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
The tunnel is being "fabricated" in 18 gauge.(with 1" access holes to get the bell housing bolts. In the end, it will be a Solid trans tunnel, ("part of the car") with a 3" plate in the drivers side to get to the "removeable" shifter LEVER. Am I doing it the hard way, of course. but this is a car that should never have been "saved", there was almost nothing left, I'll see if I can find the "before" photo. I have nothing but Time (I am retired auto body) been "building" cars, (everything from old ford coupes to musclecars, & English sports cars), The engines, trans, for 50 years. I am glad to hear when someone says "you shouldn't do that". If there is a good reason not to, I won't. I ASK to see if someone has Already "Tried to do something" and what problems they ran into. Easier to put in a 2.8,? yes, but I don't want a 6. But this car is a "Frankenstein car". (there were No GOOD Parts anyone would even have wanted to salvage). the engine and trans(302/C4) I completely rebuilt. I "Made" the firewall, floors, trunk, lower deck lid, front "inside"of hood. all body panels (lower 6" !)

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
well, obviously it's not too hard to form, ya just have to know what you're doing, it's almost done.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Can anyone else feel the I've got 18 gauge steel so that's what I'm going to use. After all the roof is in the floor according to the old Rootes group advertisement.
Que the chairman of the board I did it my way.
Seen several Tigers with extra holes cut to get to the top bolts in the transmission in the car as well as the stock shifter adjustment cover opened like a can opener. Do whatever you need to make your car serviceable, more power to ya....

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
18 gauge IS what the fenders are. .042"
I'm not going to argue with you. I cut up a fender and measured the gauge before starting. I did not have the metal laying around, I specifcly bought it. are YOU a certified body man ???

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Fonz I'm certifiable maybe :)
I was trying to compliment you and respect guys that use what they have to use. Oh and yes I did spend a couple of years at a Vo tech doing body repair and have done a couple front clips on VWs floor pans and the like.
I believe you should not have a problem with a flexing firewall as long as you stay under 300 hp and don't autocross the car.
The doors tend to open as the car gets flogged about the harder you drive them. Now this could be a a hinge and latch deal but very obvious is the position changes when jacking the car up. I'm quite sure your finished project will not be a there I fixed it Walmart parking lot special. Just look forward to the guys who will say , they took a perfectly good car and put a Ford motor in it, they're kidding of course I have gotten that as well.

There's a place called donut derelicts in Huntington Beach California. Justdown the road form a bunch of high-end resto mod shops. This place is famous for guys who build cars the way they like them. It's completely different from the enthusiast checkbook make a payment crowd. It sounds like if you ever go to Disneyland it's about 20 minutes away and you would have more fun at donut derelicts..

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
I am probably certifiable myself, wife says I'm type "A" ! what I started with. THIS is why original/ proper is not a priority. has come a long way in past 7 months.

Attachments

• SUNBEAM GREEN CAR FLOOR.jpg
    SUNBEAM GREEN CAR FLOOR.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 66
  • Sunbeam project aug 2020 001.JPG
    Sunbeam project aug 2020 001.JPG
    396.5 KB · Views: 63
  • Sunbeam project aug 2020 005.JPG
    Sunbeam project aug 2020 005.JPG
    344.7 KB · Views: 61

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
Can't seem to find a set of Exhaust "Manifolds" for a "tiger" ( Anyone got a set for sale ??), Those of you that have used" Headers", What brand did you use, and how much of a pain was it to get them to actually FIT ? Thank You

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
HOW DO i GET IN TOUCH WITH THAT GUY ? DON'T SEE A MESSAGE OR REPLY TAG THERE. bet the shipping will be a wopper from Ca to Fla ! thanks for the lead

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I'm not sure I was only able to contact him through messenger on my laptop. I try to stay away from Facebook as much as I can on most of my other devices.
I use a slightly misspelled name.
Like I got to worry about all my old girlfriends calling me up hahaha

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
am I posting in the "Correct part of the Forum ? Is there a "SEARCH" button to use ? I Know a couple members here HAVE USED Headers in their cars. just looking for "Brands and maybe Part numbers" of what may fit . Possible for anyone to post Pictures of what they have ?? (especially a "shot downward" of the tower to header on both sides ?) I know there will be "Adjusting" , after what I've been through with this, that will be the easy part. LOL Thank you. tried to contact the guy in Ca with manifolds, no luck. thanks for the lead. will FLOWTECH 12164flt actually FIT ?

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
There should be a little magnifying glass symbol in the upper right of your screen. Click on that to search. I have headers that the previous owner massaged to get to fit. Sorry, I dont have pics, brand or part number.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
am I posting in the "Correct part of the Forum ?

Posts related to installing the 302 into the Alpine should be made to the "Modified Alpine" forum category. Posts where you are looking to purchase parts should be in the "Alpine Parts and Cars Wanted" forum.

The forum does have a built in search feature as mentioned by Aladin Sane. Another way to search the forum is to go to Google (as well as some other search engines) and use this search term syntax:

site:sunbeamalpine.org <search terms>

e.g. site:sunbeamalpine.org reverse lights

Mike