• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine timing cover seal solution

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
This forum has had several threads on the problem. I spoke to Sunbeam Specialties today and they agree that even the ones they've been selling have had problems. Indeed, the problems are much like those you experienced in your first one - they get all spongy and fall apart. The original ones are quite hard and don't wear much at all... you'd know if you had an original because they are the hardest of rubber.

Here's a link to read on the subject.... I'm sure there's more...

http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15088

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Gene, In looking at your website, it shows "new" vibration damper pulleys. But I also see in the photo what looks like the original cast part , including casting number. Are you offering new cast parts , and with an elastomer (rubber) ring between center part and pulley part? Or does your "new" pully use an old "core"?

Have you ever seen original pulleys that looked fine - not rotted , or excessive rubber damage - bit that were still "rotated" on the hub, thus messing up the timing mark?

Thanks ,

Tom

gtoner

Donation Time
Pulley

Tom,

The dampers are all brand new. The hub is nodular iron and the balance ring is billet steel with all new rubber.

The picture and link at the bottom shows original hubs modified with the Chevy repair sleeve to work with our timing cover. We provide a service for the people who decide against purchasing a new damper to help refurbish their original, if it is in repairable condition.

I included a picture of a damper which was not repairable to illustrate what NOT to try to refurbish.

The new dampers are first class and will fit the our Chevy seal timing covers directly with no modification to either part.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I should think it would work with any pulley with a shaft size the same as the Chevy V8, and the same offset as a standard Alpine.

The BHJ units have a scroll seal like the Apline factory units, so you'd need to sleeve it just like you'd need to sleeve a standard Alpine pulley. Given that modification, yes, I would think it would work just fine.

However, I do wonder why one would buy the BHJ unit at $221.25 and then have to install a sleeve (at about $35.00 + aggro) when you can get Joe/Gene's for only $196 and it's already spun to the proper Chevy size. I don't know about you, but I can always find a use for an extra $60. :)

Ktapply

Donation Time
I should think it would work with any pulley with a shaft size the same as the Chevy V8, and the same offset as a standard Alpine.

The BHJ units have a scroll seal like the Apline factory units, so you'd need to sleeve it just like you'd need to sleeve a standard Alpine pulley. Given that modification, yes, I would think it would work just fine.

However, I do wonder why one would buy the BHJ unit at $221.25 and then have to install a sleeve (at about $35.00 + aggro) when you can get Joe/Gene's for only $196 and it's already spun to the proper Chevy size. I don't know about you, but I can always find a use for an extra $60. :)

I agree with you EXCEPT..I already own the BHJ Unit... I guess I could sell this one and Buy the Joe/Gene Unit... Or I could just keep doing what I was doing... Its a nice looking timing cover though..

gtoner

Donation Time
How long ago did you buy it from BHJ? Maybe they would exchange it. If you could get their chevy version it will definitely work.

Gene

gtoner

Donation Time
To Andrew,

I tried to reply to your message but was unable to get it to go. Please contact me through the website so I can give you the information first thing Monday morning.

Regards,

Gene