• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

A number of questions for you

B

Bruce

I'm looking at buying a Alpine Series V. The car is in great condition with the exception of the following things that do not work:

1 - The heater temp control on the dash, but it is controlled by a manual valve in the engine compartment.
2 - The amp meter and tachometer
3 - The wipers and the washer button
4 - The horn may not be working (still checking on this)

I can live with most of them for the time being but would need to fix the wiper and horn issues before I can get the car registered. What I don't know is if these can be fixed relatively easily? :confused:

There also is a slight hairline crack in the finish on the rocker panels, which seems indicative of some body flex. Is this typical and should it be a concern?

Also, the car has the typical two-point lap seat belt. Is there a kit that can convert them to a three or four point belt?

Thanks in advance,

Bruce

skywords

Donation Time
Bruce
Sounds like just about like all the Alpines I have purchased. Only four sqauwks? The heater cable, amp meter, tach, wipers are items that are easily fixed. Your biggest concern is RUST rust is the enemy and can hide in some areas that will haunt you later. Rockers, floors, fender wells etc.. Have the car looked at by a pro if you don't know where to look. Be careful as the front ends of these cars sometimes are more bondo than metal. You should have the engine/ drive train looked at as well. A compression check is a good idea. and look in the oil filler cap if it incrusted with black carbon you will be doing a valve job soon.

Have a prebuy inspection done at your favorite British car repair shop. It is money well spent.

mikephillips

Donation Time
The heater control arm itself rarely is a problem. If it doesn't move it's probably the control cable, the core having rusted to the casing. Or the heater valve itself rusted up.
For the ammeter, look and see if it's connected to anything. If the gauge actually fails,the way it's normally wired into the circuit, you wouldn't have juice. Ask me how I know this.....
For the horns, you find a lot of them where the actual horn has gone bad internally. So if the wiring appears to be there, and when you remove the steering colum cowl all the parts are there, then this may be it.

A crack in the finish of a rocker panel is a concern. Indicates the possible presence of filler. I'd look real close at that. Try rapping it with your knuckles, filler will not have a metal sound, it'll be more of a dull thunk.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The car is easily converted to three point belt system. The aftermarket items work nicely. The car has the third anchor point (threaded) already installed in the inner wheel wells.

Bill

alpine_64

Donation Time
I agree with all thats said bellow, and yes belts are easy to install, infact the alpine probably has location for the sash under the trim as Alpines did have the belts as an option and the anchors go through to the inner rear wheel well.

As for the craxks, the SV had unfilled seam joints on the rockers. Are these "cracks" in the paint, or are they bubbling pain with cracks? The joint lines run from front edge of the dorr down the sill.. and same at the rear of the door.