• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

7K Tach

Duke

Donation Time
Great job!

I see your 7000 and raise you 1000.

011.jpg

Autometer internals.....balls-on accurate.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
How do you guys make these really accurate dial reproductions?

The 7K tach is different than the tach Duke uses. The 7K are factory tachs calibrated to use 7k with a new face.

I don't know who drew the new 7K face but it definitely looks as if from the factory.

I obtained the face from a fellow Sunbeamer named Mathew Taylor and don't know how he obtained the art work.

My motor won't rev as high as Duke's so the 7K arrangement works for me.

If anyone is interested, send me an email. I think that Mathew has a few 7K faces remaining.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
What is a 2,000 rpm "redline" ? I thought a reline was just that, a line that you did not pass without trepidation. How high do you rev the engine? Does the end of the redline at 8K mean you can rev to 8K? If so, why start the redline at 6K?

Bill

Duke

Donation Time
What is a 2,000 rpm "redline" ? I thought a reline was just that, a line that you did not pass without trepidation. How high do you rev the engine? Does the end of the redline at 8K mean you can rev to 8K? If so, why start the redline at 6K?

Bill

That is a "zone". If you had a red line, you would not really see it if you are driving hard. The needle would blow right past it. The Red zone or area is a stay out of area. I do not plan on reving my engine past 6500. I will have a rev limiter set at 6400. As fast as my engine will spin up, blowing past the 6000 will be very easy.

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time

Bill

My guess is that it is a visual aid, so at a glance you can see you're in the red (or past the "redline") without having to process that the needle is past a slim red line. I don't think it means you can rev to 8k. I think it means if you notice you're in the red you need to shift! Just my guess...

Looks like Duke answered before I did....

Duke

Donation Time
So if you do not plan on reving past 6500, why 8000 on the tach?

Bill

Because Autometer makes a 8K Cobra tach that fits the hole, has modern electronics and is dead on accurate. A converted 60's tach just won't perform like a new tach.

I don't want any lag, bouncing or inaccuracy with the 347 I am putting in my car.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Because Autometer makes a 8K Cobra tach that fits the hole, has modern electronics and is dead on accurate. A converted 60's tach just won't perform like a new tach.

I don't want any lag, bouncing or inaccuracy with the 347 I am putting in my car.

The factory Tiger tachs recalibrate to a 6k redline very well. Although not 100% dead-on here's the report on mine. I'm very happy with it. I don't have the report on my re-calibrated Alpine tach handy but it also did very well. I do think the Autometer tach looks cool and probably is deadon at each RPM but I'm confident the factory tach will keep me out of trouble.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-02-18 at 5.08.47 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-02-18 at 5.08.47 PM.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 18

64beam

Donation Time
The factory Tiger tachs recalibrate to a 6k redline very well. Although not 100% dead-on here's the report on mine. I'm very happy with it. I don't have the report on my re-calibrated Alpine tach handy but it also did very well. I do think the Autometer tach looks cool and probably is deadon at each RPM but I'm confident the factory tach will keep me out of trouble.

Hi Allan,

That accuracy looks pretty good for the age. Was it just re-calibrated or were there some components replaced to get the accuracy?

Regards, Robin.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Robin,

Perhaps Tom will see this and go into detail but yes, new parts were added. The tach was DOA when he received it. I won't get to try it out for a few more weeks but expect that it will perform as smoothly as the Alpine tach that Tom also re-did for the Airpine.

Allan

Duke

Donation Time
The factory Tiger tachs recalibrate to a 6k redline very well. Although not 100% dead-on here's the report on mine. I'm very happy with it.

Those number are very good. How fast is it though? I can see it being accurate when held at a RPM, the sweep being accurate is just as important.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
tach

Bill:
We're using the Speedhut guages, found them easy to deal with, nice stuff
we're also using the GPS speedo you mentioned some time back,saves a lot of the bs associated with cables etc.

Joel