• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

'76 Capri Calipers

mferris

Donation Time
More as an fyi and confirming the bolt-on replacement for stock calipers with '76 Mercury Capri's.

After rebuilding my rusty/frozen stock SV calipers a year ago - I found that I had a leak around one of the cylinders and the car would pull to one side (opposite of the leaking caliper).

So I found $23 rebuilt (Cardone) Mercury calipers on rockauto.com and installed them today. It fixed the pull!

Photo:
http://bit.ly/ZTaCid

However, I did *not* use a M10 to 3/8(?) adapter, which I think I saw as required on other posts. I had purchased a simple flexhose from VB a year ago and it fit both the female/female adapter mounted on the car well as the new calipers. I don't know if I ruined the threads on the caliper or if the flex hose happened to be a conversion (doubtful), but it threaded fine and I torqued it down really well - no leaks and holds pressure.

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
Any chance we can we convince you to write up a how to on this conversion

Tom j

65beam

Donation Time
calipers

there should not be anything to convert except the adapter for the hose. they are a bolt on. a person in dayton that works on sunbeams all the time and also works at advance says the calipers are for 1976 capri's with the 2.8 V6.

gordonra

Donation Time
The Capri calipers are a direct bolt on replacement, with only two issues..

1. The fitting on the Capri is 10mm metric where the Sunbeam is 3/8 SAE. You can buy adapters.
2. The Capri uses larger pins to hold the pads. Alpine pads can still work if you simply chase the existing hole with a bit so theyfit on the Capri pins. Alternately, you can just use Capri pads.

Rich

mferris

Donation Time
Tom j - as others have said - there isn't any work required on the caliper or mounting points. Straight bolt on job.

I bought $8 Capri pads to go with the calipers - total cost for all parts was around $50 (2 calipers and pads), although I've heard others pay $46 per caliper.

I did not use an adapter for the end of my flex hose. Apparently either the 3/8 hose will thread into the 10mm fitting on the caliper just well enough (which I have heard is the case in general) - or I have a 10mm fitting on the end of my flex hose. Either way - it worked for me without a modification.

Much better than rebuilding and breaking something (like I apparently did a year ago - and just found out).

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
The Capri calipers are a direct bolt on replacement, with only two issues..

1. The fitting on the Capri is 10mm metric where the Sunbeam is 3/8 SAE. You can buy adapters.
2. The Capri uses larger pins to hold the pads. Alpine pads can still work if you simply chase the existing hole with a bit so theyfit on the Capri pins. Alternately, you can just use Capri pads.

Rich

I thought I remember reading that the Capri caliper body can be slightly larger than the stock Girling units which can cause interference issues with the stock wire wheels.

However, I don't have any firsthand experience with this and can't verify, maybe someone else has some input?

gordonra

Donation Time
Im not sure what more input you want.

i held them up to each other for a visual inspection, measured for verification, installed with wire wheels and ran them for about three years until I changed to Afla wheels. they continue to work just like originals.

Rich

RootesRacer

Donation Time
The capri was an evolution of the ford cortina, which used the girling caliper system.

I assume that when the capri was germanized, they used a different manufacturer, but likley licensed the basic design albeit metric, from Girling.

mferris

Donation Time
I compared the originals with the Capri's and while they were not cast from the exact same mold, the differences were mostly superficial such as an indentation on one that was a different shape that the other. Dimensionally they did not seem appreciably different at all.

In short - they work.

johnd

Donation Time
I was told they would fit SII cars so I bought a set. I learned the hard way that this info was incorrect - they will NOT fit SI or SII cars. Interference fit with the rotor housings.

mr.bridger

Donation Time
Just did that conversion also,thanks to all for very helpful info/advice,I was frustrated with my rebuilt originals(I really wanted to keep the originals on) They leaked and then blew a piston seal! Within a week of rebuild! Just want to throw my 2 cents in...Not sure if its just my wire wheels(originals) but they rubbed on the caliper slightly,the old grinder shaved them down to where they don't hit now,heads up. I got the adapters at a local hydraulic place but one appears to have a teeny tiny leak,so I'm thinking of getting metal braided hoses with the correct fittings and have done with it! Good luck to all!

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Years ago when I got calipers for a early capri they worked just like the org. but the capri II units are a little diff. only in the hose thread. As for pads its great you can use Datsun 240,260,280 Z pads they will give you a little more surface area than stock Alpine/ tiger pads. just a note!:cool:

tiger07

Donation Time
I recently upgraded my Series IV to the Nissan/Datsun F10 master cylinder and used Capri calipers up front. As mentioned above, the key is finding the right adapters to make the Capri calipers and hoses work.

This site is a great reference - it lists Edelmann brake line adapters with part numbers
http://www.ffcars.com/FAQ/brakelines.html

The key adapter is 271300 Metric bubble flare to SAE inverted flare which I used at the Capri caliper. I used 272330 British bubble flare to SAE at the distribution T and bent new SAE 3/16 steel lines to fit inbetween the block and calipers. I kept the stock Alpine rotors upfront without any issues. Rear brakes are stock self adjusting drum brakes from a Series V.

While there might be a more efficient set up, this was relatively painless once I sorted through all the adapters. This allowed me to keep the stock distribution T and stop lamp switch.

SRQJeff

Bronze Level Sponsor
Some part numbers

Today I managed to locate Capri calipers, but it was tough. Rockauto only had the left one, but I found the right one on amazon. I dug up four manufacturers/remanufacturers and their related part numbers. I think, but can't guarantee, that these are correct.

right left
Cardone 19-244 19-245
Cardone 196615 196614 (I think this one includes pads)
Fenco C8272 C8273
Raybestos RC3003 RC3004
Centric 142.61101 142.61102

Hope that helps someone. Good luck.

pcmenten

Donation Time
I am seeing a Remy DC80284 DC80285 set of calipers on Rockauto.com. Fits several years and all engine sizes. About $66.

Note: I found the Remy parts under "FORD" Capri.

Last edited:

tiger07

Donation Time
Today I managed to locate Capri calipers, but it was tough. Rockauto only had the left one, but I found the right one on amazon. I dug up four manufacturers/remanufacturers and their related part numbers. I think, but can't guarantee, that these are correct.

right left
Cardone 19-244 19-245

The above Cardone part numbers are the same as the calipers on my SIV.

SRQJeff

Bronze Level Sponsor
I am seeing a Remy DC80284 DC80285 set of calipers on Rockauto.com. Fits several years and all engine sizes. About $66.

Note: I found the Remy parts under "FORD" Capri.

Huh. When I search under "Ford," Capri doesn't come up. But using those part numbers, they do show up and are described as Capri parts. But they don't come up when I search for Mercury Capri. Weird site.

I got the Cardone 19-244 from amazon for $34.82 with free shipping.

Last edited:

pcmenten

Donation Time
Did anybody else look up the prices for Sunbeam calipers? Yikes!

Mike, thanks for the link. Good prices.

Edit: Left side-only. Same as Rockauto.

Last edited: