• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

'76 Capri Calipers

mferris

Donation Time
I've had to purchase another caliper for the passenger side after finding that one of the Cardone rebuilt calipers was leaking (either from the cylinder or from the bolts holding the halves together - hard to tell). I drove it for about 200 miles just fine - then had to hit the brakes hard this weekend which may have pushed it over the limit (?).

Rather than rebuilding - I just ordered another one ($32 shipped) from one of the Cardone resellers. Took some searching - but neither Rock Auto nor PartsGeek nor AutoPartsWarehouse (below) had anything other than a rebuild service (for the similar price).

Hopefully the new one won't be defective but I'll watch my fluid levels closely from now on.

mferris

Donation Time
Well. That didn't work out. Apparently there is a shortage of the right-side calipers. I paid more and tried to get one off of Amazon - but it's unclear if that will work out either.

pcmenten

Donation Time
Mike, NAPA claims to have some at their warehouse here in Vancouver, Washington. About $61 total for each side.

pcmenten

Donation Time
I just purchased two Capri calipers from amazon. I purchased these in anticipation of a rebuild of a second Alpine. According to information found on RockAuto, the Capri calipers have 10mm fittings, compatible with Alpine hosiery and pipiery.

I've considered converting to SAE 3/8-24 hardware but for the sake of compatibility with existing Alpine hardware, such as flexible brake hoses and Tee fittings, I'm opting to attempt making new bubble-flare brake lines like the stock setup. I am converting my first Alpine to a Ford 2.8 V6 and, as I'm sure many know, the front pulley of the V6 is at risk of fouling the hard brake line that is routed along the back lip of the crossmember. Currently, I'm thinking that I'll re-route the replacement line through the crossmember, I just don't yet know how I'll secure it.

I purchased brake line flaring tools from HF, but I suspect that's designed for the double-flare more typical of American vehicles. Looks like there's no shortage of tools and supplies on Amazon, so I'll probably pick up needed bits on that site. Although I've done some minor brake line work in the past, I've never attempted wholesale replacement of brake lines on a import basket-case, so any advice and wisdom offered is appreciated.

Also, relating to the front brakes on an Alpine, I see that where the flexible hose attaches to the hard lines on the crossmember, there's a metal tab with a hole. There is a metal part that fits over that tab. On one side of this part there is a hex-shaped hole that fits to the hex-shaped end of the brake line. I have not yet found this part in the parts catalog of Sunbeam Specialties. I can probably fabricate this part if needed, but I'd rather buy a replacement.

Paul

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can’t live long enough to make them all yourself."