• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

62 Alpine Identification/SAS/VIN/SAL

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Good summation Alpine Addict. Ihboo9, alas, you are left to the whims of your local inspectors. My inspectors display common sense and have been pleasant to work with over the years. It is unfortunate to know of other inspectors with bizarre views and protocols when dealing with vintage automobiles.

RootesRooter, I believe you are correct. Armstrong Siddeley Engineering's "motors group" was providing manufacturing for the Rootes group until sometime after the Bristol-Aero Engines merger with Armstrong Siddeley in 1959 forming Bristol Siddeley Engines LTD. Apparently, the internal manufacturing structure transition was completed at the end of 1961 +/- a few months. This would coincide with the stoppage of the "secondary" VIN stamp on the late Series II firewall, an oval body number tag above the stamp replaced by a SAL tag and the termination of a RAS# tag behind the drivers seat.

lhb009

Donation Time
Blank ID plate

There is a guy on ebay from UK selling blank id plates for $45, buy 1 and stamp it with the #s on your title, rivet it on and call it done!

I can't seem to track down a source for a blank vin plate, any ideas?

lhb009

Donation Time
Ideas for licensing? Still no luck

Well, I got one running, tried to get it licensed and no luck. I have to have a data plate(something with an id number).. it seems I was unwise in purchasing an alpine without a data tag (three early alpines and can't do anything but work on them. Any ideas?

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
The OEM VIN plate is nothing special. Just a piece of thin rectangular sheet metal with a corner cut off. There is a Tiger owner who is a graphic artist and makes decals to refurbish worn lettering on existing tags. I can't think of his name at the moment, but he lives in Michigan and I am sure someone here can supply it. Buy a decal from him (as I recall, about $12-15), make a tag (I can give you the dimensions if you need them) and get it stamped with the VIN.

Just keep in mind that what I am recommending is easy but may be against the law in some states. There is another option, which is to go to the State police and/or the DMV and request a replacement VIN plate. There is lots of info on this online. Here's a place to start: http://www.ehow.com/how_5526080_obtain-replacement-vin-tag-auto.html

Good luck.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Chp

Go to CA DMV.org fill out inf70 form requesting info on your title. In California there is a Mother May I rule that you are supposed to follow when removing tags but nobody does it. Some really smart guys also shoot pics of their project cars with tags off car.
Look at every MG Mini Moke or other popular Brit car the tags are available.
There is a "intent to deceive" in statutes which is troublesome in most states.

If this would have been my project and knowing what I know today, I would have decided from get go.

In no particular order from start.
1. Go ask for assigned tag at CHP as tag was missing BEFORE starting work on car.
2. Fab and distress a plate then go to CHP for inspection, who will probably order a assigned number anyway if out of system.
3. Go beg and grovel at AAA as some will say they can do re activate old titled cars, "they would not know restored tag from soda pop can flattened and hammered up"
4. Paul's tag letters are not decals, are raised and look too nice, and not silkscreened like originals you'd do better to not have any as most get damaged when prep solv is used on car by paint shop monkeys.

I am not an expert on Alpine tags the stampings on the later cars I have noticed is rather unique and it's best to not let them have a .001% chance you are trying to mess about.
I do know several Tiger guys that had/have the same problem.

Last edited:

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
The SAL tag is correct for a later series 2. The earlier series 1 and 2 cars have the oval tag. With this being a late series 2 the chassis number will not be stamped on the firewall.

I have a Mar.of 62 Alpine w/ the SAL tag, the oval body # plate and the stamped # on the rt.front firewall.
The oval plate # is a few digits off the stamped firewall; 25 to be exact.
So , I should not have a SAL tag? behind the driver seat on the vertical pan.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
In US

Jim, The item is in the USA....

"Shipping and handling" :Item location: Pleasanton, California, United States

It looks like the tags on my '65 SIV Alpines

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Sorry. I wasn't very clear. I was trying to say this may be the one made by the UK that THEY won't sell to us, but yes, it is being sold by someone here. That is why I listed it.

lhb009

Donation Time
Thanks

I found a source for one from England, had to provide proof of ownership document, and it is on its way. It is the plate for the series 2 (Bigger plate with engine specs on the same plate).