• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

$5.35 a gallon

skywords

Donation Time
Where have all the airplanes gone? Our airport is a ghost town. I spent the weekend working on the Harley and Alpine and did not hear one piston powered aircraft fly over.

Av gas is over five bucks a gallon. Diesel is priced more than gasoline. I have no business in my shop. Could be the end.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
And car gas is right there as well.Lets see if I was to drive 1500 miles to a meet that might be a bit expensive.3000 divide by a decent 25 MPG would be about 120 gallons time at maybe 5.25 a gallon so it would be like $660 in gas.That is assuming I would get 25 MPG and gas prices would not go up
Gas this AM is now about $5.41 a gallon.Its sure good I really don't need to drive every day to work and back.That would add up pretty fast.

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
The average price per gallon of petrol in UK is $9.7 with diesel at $10.6. You think that you have a problem!

Nickodell

Donation Time
And people bitch about the price of gas which, if inflation is taken into account, is about 5% higher in real dollars than it was in 1982, while happily paying $12 or more for tap water in a plastic bottle labeled with one of the chic names like Dasani, or "spring water" like Evian (which spells naive backwards) that contains more harmful bacteria than what comes out of the tap. However, dentists love bottled water as most of the brands contain no fluorine, so kids whose parents give them this junk are causing the rate of dental decay, that had been on a steady decline for the past half century, to start rising again.

Jim E

Donation Time
Bottled water, hahahahahah wow! How would you like to be the guy who figured out the marketing that put that one over on folks! Bet he is not worried about how much gas is!

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
To bring this thread full circle, how much gas and diesel is used every day in this country to transport bottled water? Fuel that you could certainly argue is being used unneccessarily!

PS I read somewhere that the most expensive fluid on the planet is HP inkjet ink. If you do the math, the price per gallon on that $40.00 ink cartridge is pretty darn high!

skywords

Donation Time
And people bitch about the price of gas which, if inflation is taken into account, is about 5% higher in real dollars than it was in 1982, while happily paying $12 or more for tap water in a plastic bottle labeled with one of the chic names like Dasani, or "spring water" like Evian (which spells naive backwards) that contains more harmful bacteria than what comes out of the tap. However, dentists love bottled water as most of the brands contain no fluorine, so kids whose parents give them this junk are causing the rate of dental decay, that had been on a steady decline for the past half century, to start rising again.

Nick if gas is so cheap then why have people quit flying? It can't be the price of maintenance for I have not raised my shop rate in over five years. There is something fundamentally wrong here. And for the price of fuel in the UK I think your health care is funded with that, correct me if I'm wrong. I pay $1000.00 a month for health insurance and that does not cover everything so counting that, our gas price would be more than the UK.

Bottom line for me is bankruptcy.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Chuck and Toney, are your prices per U. S. gallon or Imperial gallon? I was about about the price of gas on the Continent just yesterday. Ten bucks is pricey, regardless of the size of the gallon.

Bill

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
Imperial gallons, but $100 to fill the tank of a medium sized car still seems expensive. I take the point about Healthcare Funding - $1000 a month for Insurance is scary.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Imperial gallons, but $100 to fill the tank of a medium sized car still seems expensive. I take the point about Healthcare Funding - $1000 a month for Insurance is scary.

That's comes out to about eight bucks a gallon on this side of the pond. Still is a big "Ouch!"

$1000 a month may give some idea why health care is such a big topic here in the states. I would be surprised if the $1000/month is for the top of the line policy. With Ricks health history, he's probably lucky to get anything.

When I retired four years ago, the total premiums (my share plus employers) for a family health plan was $13,120 a year. I don't know how much good health insurance is these days, we depend on my wife's and it is far from "good". More like "Better than nothing."

As they say, we don't have the best health car in the world, just the most expensive.

Bill

Jim E

Donation Time
Yeah well no matter how bad health care is in the UK or Canada try having none in the US if you want to get a real pucker factor

Nickodell

Donation Time
Nick if gas is so cheap then why have people quit flying? It can't be the price of maintenance for I have not raised my shop rate in over five years. There is something fundamentally wrong here. And for the price of fuel in the UK I think your health care is funded with that, correct me if I'm wrong. I pay $1000.00 a month for health insurance and that does not cover everything so counting that, our gas price would be more than the UK.

Bottom line for me is bankruptcy.

Rick: I didn't say it was cheap, I said it was only fractionally more than it was 26 years ago in today's $. I think a lot of people quit because their hull and liability insurance went way up (100% in 4 years in some cases) and their personal insurance also either went through the roof, or the underwriters either canceled their policies or compelled them to sign what we in the trade* call an ER (Exclusion Rider), meaning that they would not be covered from the moment of getting in their plane to the moment they got out after a flight. Many people are not willing to take the risk of having no coverage while in the air.

I sold my 1/3 share of the Bonanza because the insurance, that was bad enough when I was in my 60s, went sky-high once I passed age 70. My other partners said I had to pay half of the total because my part equalled their combined parts of the total. However, I still fly rentals whenever I get the urge and feel like blowing $200 or so.

*I took my PA and DE insurance licenses a few years ago and opened the O'Dell Insurance Agency - no, really, I'm not joking for once. I only do this a couple of days a week, but it's fun, interesting and doubles my Social Security income.

I sell health insurance to small business owners, families and individuals through a non-profit group called the Small Business Association (sbaamerica.com), and I can often save people currently insured with the "biggies" like Aetna, BlueXBlue Shield, Cigna etc. anything up to 60% provide that they pay for the smaller stuff themselves, and accept a larger deductible.

In other words, they buy an insurance policy for the same reason that they have an auto or house (or plane) policy, to protect themselves against financial catastrophe in the case of a serious illness or accident. Think about it; your auto insurance doesn't pay for oil changes or to repair your tranny; you do. If you get a small fender-bender, you probably take it to the body shop and pay the $500-750 rather than put in a claim, only part of which is met after the deductible, which will probably put your premium rates up too if you file a claim. But people pay exorbitant rates because they expect their medical insurer to pay for the smaller (I didn't say small) things instead of paying them themselves.

The best medical insurance compromise is the one where you might have, for example, a $5,000 deductible. You'd pay the $400 or so if you went to the E.R., rather than submitting a claim, but would only have to meet that $5,000 out of a $100,000 bill for a major medical or injury event.

Wombat

Donation Time
Regular unleaded here this morning $1.36 per litre. If I have done the sums right, that equals US$5.38 per US gallon. But that is at the low point of the weekly price cycle. Tomorrow morning it will be about $1.48. Diesel is around $1.62 per litre ($6.40 per Gallon).

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Yeah well no matter how bad health care is in the UK or Canada try having none in the US if you want to get a real pucker factor
You guys need to move to Colombia.:) My wife and I pay 76,000 Colombian Pesos per month, which is equivalent to about $38.00 USD. The copay for an appointment to see a doctor, or most medications, is about $1.. USD.:D

I just had a corneal transplant done by possibly the best opthalmologist in the country. He, at one time, was the health minister for the country of Colombia. He is an eminence in his field, to the point that the opthalmology department of the hospital near me, is named after him. All this cost me nothing. Colombia is a great place to retire to, if you only have Social Security to depend on.

Jose :)

alpine_64

Donation Time
Regular unleaded here this morning $1.36 per litre. If I have done the sums right, that equals US$5.38 per US gallon. But that is at the low point of the weekly price cycle. Tomorrow morning it will be about $1.48. Diesel is around $1.62 per litre ($6.40 per Gallon).

Thats not to bad.. In melbourne mid last week we hit 1.53 per litre!.. and that was for the regular stuff ! Its sure getting pricey to drive round.

skywords

Donation Time
You guys need to move to Colombia.:) My wife and I pay 76,000 Colombian Pesos per month, which is equivalent to about $38.00 USD. The copay for an appointment to see a doctor, or most medications, is about $1.. USD.:D

I just had a corneal transplant done by possibly the best opthalmologist in the country. He, at one time, was the health minister for the country of Colombia. He is an eminence in his field, to the point that the opthalmology department of the hospital near me, is named after him. All this cost me nothing. Colombia is a great place to retire to, if you only have Social Security to depend on.

I don't want a free ride I just want to make a living and take care of the family. Jose maybe they need a DC-3 mechanic? It is getting scarey here. I have never worked so hard in my life to be poor. I knew this was coming with all the importing and trade deficits etc.. and the Iraq war they say will cost three trillion in borrowed money. Oh well I'll just hope for better times.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Rick,

As you know, there are lots of DC3's there. The only problem is, that they wouldn't pay you enough. Insurance and everything else is low, because you don't earn enough money. If your money comes from outside the country, you can do alright, but not working there.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Chuck and Toney, are your prices per U. S. gallon or Imperial gallon? I was about about the price of gas on the Continent just yesterday. Ten bucks is pricey, regardless of the size of the gallon.

Bill

That is an Imperial gallon.Yes it is a bit more than a US gallon

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I'm there!!! Wait a minute..... How much for coffee and dounuts?
Hi Rich,

The cost of "Un Tinto", (Literally, a dye or ink, refering to the color.), which is a demitas, is 300 pesos, which is currently, about 16 cents. A full cup of coffee, will set you back about 25 cents (They have a lot of coffee.)

The donut is a bit more expensive, because it is American, and not availible everywhere, will cost about $1.00.

Come on down!!!

Jose :D