• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

$30,000 Series V !!

65beam

Donation Time
30,000 series 4

to build a car to the quality that this one appears to be in would take that much money. sure does look nice!

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Well, at least it doesn't appear to be a piece of junk being foisted up for an obsecene price... I can't see a lot that's wrong with that car.

But if he does ineed get his price, my Sunbeam just jumped in value substantially.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I just read the text on the £19995 one:
Engine upgraded to Holbay specification with considerably more horsepower bringing it closer to Tiger performance
Well, I suppose that even an extra 1 or 2 HP would bring the car closer to Tiger performance. :D

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hey, that Commodore Blue car(the ebay one) is on this site! It's in the Series V album.
I think the guys name is Mackem. Nice car, wonder why he's selling?
Cheers!
Steve

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Jim,

My thoughts exactly, but didn't comment, because I didn't want to cause an uproar. Ha!Ha!Ha!ha!

Jose

I just read the text on the £19995 one:

Well, I suppose that even an extra 1 or 2 HP would bring the car closer to Tiger performance. :D

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Whoever buys it should get six months free membership to this SAOCA....

In appreciation for bumping all our values. heck... maybe present him a plaque...

ducsingle

Donation Time
market value versus restoration costs

to build a car to the quality that this one appears to be in would take that much money.

A car is only worth what somebody is willing to pay, regardless of restoration costs.

alpine_64

Donation Time
A car is only worth what somebody is willing to pay, regardless of restoration costs.

Yes, but you would be a long way ahead buying this one before trying to build one like that.. unless you had a very solid starting point.. i'd say you would struggle to get it done for 30K...

short term savings = long term costs.

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
In appreciation for bumping all our values. heck... maybe present him a plaque...

I'm not sure why everyone thinks it will bump your value. If you have a $5000 piece of $hit right now, it won't be a $7000 piece of $hit if he gets his price!
It's all about the dollars in the car! Not the marque!!
If I put $10,000 into building an engine, it doesn't mean your engine is now worth that same because you have the same engine!

The car is worth every penny. This car would take a good $25,000 to build without considering any labor.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Well, as much as I appreciate your point of view, and my earlier comment was mostly meant in jest, I really do think that the 'pieces of junk' do appreciate when the high-end starts to rise in value... the reason being that folks start to see the potential in the junkers to become more valuable, and therefore they become a better investment. After all, if the market for the very best Alpines is only $7000 (as it is with some really obscure cars), who is ever going to sink $5000 in a 'restorable' car, knowing they'll have to sink another $10,000 in putting it right? But if the potential is $25,000, it becomes more of a good investment. Tigers are now a perfect example of this... 15 years ago you used to be able to pick up an old nail for next to nothing... now you can't touch one for less than $5000.

AlpineII

Donation Time
I am well into my second "frame-off" (so to speak) restoration of an Alpine and I will never see the money back that I have put into these cars. But to be honest I knew that going in. I was more concerned about the quality of the work than what it was costing. It's comforting to know I am not driving a bondo-buggy! This is not a cheap hobby to get into if you are looking at more than just a daily driver.

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
Kevin:

I agree with you. The higher the prices get for nice examples, the higher they eventually all get. This has been proven time and time again in just about every marque out there that has experienced a price increase. Maybe it's finally the Alpine's turn now!

Take care,

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
I'm not sure why everyone thinks it will bump your value. If you have a $5000 piece of $hit right now, it won't be a $7000 piece of $hit if he gets his price!
It's all about the dollars in the car! Not the marque!!
If I put $10,000 into building an engine, it doesn't mean your engine is now worth that same because you have the same engine!

The car is worth every penny. This car would take a good $25,000 to build without considering any labor.

Paul
I heartily agree.Unfortunately the time and money we put into our cars does not allways come back to that amount.
I know what dollars I put in.If I was to include labour which fortunately I do all I could not sell say my Lister clone for what its worth to me.Then there is the satisafaction I get doing the work.That alone is worth a small fortune.
Being able to work on the cars has kept me sane all these years.
You all know I am in the modified class which suits me fine.Saying that does not detract from the satisfaction of seeing a beautiful original stock car.
I guess here in Winnipeg.Canada all car nuts do not discriminate but enjoy the fellow ship and workmanship.
To me thats what it is all about.
Enjoy it all

wipeout

Donation Time
All this bickering over this car.... sheesh..........

I'll just buy it and we'll see what happens. I was holding out for fins, but this discord amongst you just has to end.

Now.....can anyone lend me $29,990.00?

:p

ducsingle

Donation Time

Again, the cost to replicate a similar car doesn't matter. A product is only worth as much as somebody is willing to pay. If I spend $20k gold plating a turd, is the gold plated turd now "worth" $20k? No, it's only worth what somebody is willing to pay for a gold plated turd. And even if somebody with a turd fetish decides to spend $20k on the gold plated turd, that doesn't mean average market value for a gold plated turd is $20k.

That car is clearly a very nice example, but until somebody drops $30k on it, it's not worth that much.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Again, the cost to replicate a similar car doesn't matter. A product is only worth as much as somebody is willing to pay. If I spend $20k gold plating a turd, is the gold plated turd now "worth" $20k? No, it's only worth what somebody is willing to pay for a gold plated turd. And even if somebody with a turd fetish decides to spend $20k on the gold plated turd, that doesn't mean market value for a gold plated turd is $20k.

That Alpine is clearly a very nice example, but until somebody drops $30k on it, it's not worth that much.

While i get where you are coming from.. there are alpines that have sold for that kind of money before. The difference between alpines and other cars is the type of buyers.

The price range is very wide.. and quality varies. Alpines are a more obscure choice with a small following and knowledge base..

Many people stumble into ownership.. "saw the car liked it, was cheap.. bought it" many of these people also buy poor examples at inflated prices as they dont know about the ars and it was an impulse buy.. little reserach till after the purchase.

Then there are those who know the marque well and appreciate the costs involved in a good example.. these are the people that will buy one for 30K as they know they cant build one for that.. they also tend to spend large amounts on their own cars... they dont go round trying to inflate prices but try and educate people as to the virtues of buying a well sorted cars as they know the costs invloved.

Lastly.. you have (with all due respects) an older group of enthusiasts that were either attracted to the cars for their uniqueness or.. becasue they were cheap.. but their comonality is the cars were "cheap" when they got invloved in them. These people tend to hold the values down with comments as repeated on this thread.. they have always seen the alpines as a cheap car.. and will continue to do so... they are also often responsible for the patched runners that seem to form the majority of cars.

Because you spend 50K on a car doesnt make it worth 50.. thats a given.. but because lots of cars are cheap examples doesnt mean they all are