• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1967 Sunbeam Tiger Custom Clone

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
This is the kind of swap that gives the V6 conversion a bad name. How on earth could he screw up such an easy swap??

He not only messed up the great Alpine looks, but he ruined the handling too. WOW!

Jose

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
A Face of a Car

That only a Mother could love, Everyone does not like this train wreck. It even gives Frankenstein a bad name.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
How do you chop a ragtop and channel a uni-body?

I think he was referring to the Mustang II front crossmember and suspension.It would have to be narrowed and cut to keep the stock track
I have done it so I might think this is what is

Still it looks ugly no matter what and looks like a stock V6 for power

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Somebody obviously really, really liked that old Tiger model kit.

So what's that thing above the exhaust that looks like an inline spare tire well?

How could someone put that much work into this and end up with the battery sitting dangerously exposed behind the passenger seat?

So does Priority Mail go in the top slot and Overnight in the lower?

Still, I'd love to drive it once and see if handles well with that front suspension.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Actually the Mustang II front suspension worked very well in the 62. Mine was kept at stock Mustang dimensions as I was going to use the 8 inch ford rear end as it was which was a lot easier.That is why I went to flared fenders

I had wanted to keep it when I went to the 302.It would have required some pretty extreme mods to the center of the crossmember and then the rack would need refiguration a the best.The 62 does have the Mustang II spindles and the rack and pinion.The Sunbeam crossmember was opened and internal bracing added which allowed the rack to be mounted a little more to the rear.Works pretty good

Last edited:

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Looks as if the hood modifications started out as an accommodation for the tall radiator and then had to add a scoop. Too bad he didn't know about some of the easy mods.
Is the gas filler tube on the driver side of series4/5?

Last edited:

Cactusmasher

Donation Time
Tiger Custom Clone

On every Alpine or Tiger I have worked on, the gas filler cap is located on the passenger side, on all series. Have never before seen one on driver's side.

I would be very suspicious of anything the seller said about this car. He is not a car guy. This car has neither been chopped nor channeled. Any true car guy knows a chopped/channeled car when he sees one and this one is neither. Somebody spent a lot of time and buckets of cash to put lipstick on a pig.

mikephillips

Donation Time
Technically the gas filler is on both sides depending on the LHD/RHD configuration of the car. Probably more accurate to say from the factory it's always on the right hand side when you're looking towards the front of the car from the rear.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
That is an Alpine body attached to some other frame. I don't know what a Mustang looks like underneath, but none of that is Alpine. The gas filler from the frame donor car probably had the fuel filler on the left, so that's why it was moved.

Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Mike

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Ah, guys don't kick the fellow so hard! You don't have any idea where he started from and what he had in mind when he started.

You have seen the first car (1934 Frod 2dr sedan) I started with when I was only 14.

I butchered it (with my pals help) trying to put a 51 Olds engine it. Had to go to my 40 Coupe to get her done right!

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
That is an Alpine body attached to some other frame. I don't know what a Mustang looks like underneath, but none of that is Alpine. The gas filler from the frame donor car probably had the fuel filler on the left, so that's why it was moved.

Mike

Didn't the 64 up Mustang have a unibody?.Even if it was a frame chassis the Mustang frame would be too wide and too long.So cut and cut and weld to what.If it was a channeled sunbeam body it would be a heck of a lot of work to attempt channeling.The track of even a Mustang II is 5 inches wider than the sunbeam.When I got my Mustang II front end I had to cut the crossmember from the unibody.

I guess we have really been pretty hard on this one and time to leave it alone.It was his car and beauty is still in the eye of the beholder.

Last edited:

RootesRich

Donation Time
On the positive side, I do like the color as I've always been partial to yellow Alpines and Tigers.
However, rather than install the atypical scoop in the front, I would have frenched in an anamorphic equalizer in the grill to really set the lines of the car off.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor

Mike

Don't think it's a MII. The MII was built on the same platform as the Pinto and as I recall the spare tire stored horizontally in the trunk floor
http://s269.photobucket.com/user/71hanto/media/Pinto/DSC06077.jpg.html, not vertically, if that is a spare tire well in the pics. I think if you could do something with the hood and made the flairs less obtrusive, it wouldn't be bad.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
That's not a spare tire well. It's just a odd shape at the tail end of the "frame" rails . Clearly this is an Alpine body on a different "frame". Probably a MII as he states. Note the gas tank across the bottom rear.

Tom