• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. Bill Tubbs

Getting ready to sell Series V

After decades of fooling around with my first one (which ended up as razor blades somewhere) and my current '67 Series V, I'm thinking it's time to give it up and sell it to someone who might want to take a running Alpine and go the distance on fixing it up. I'm looking for a little feedback...
  2. Bill Tubbs

Horn hookup

I just dug out my old horn ring from one of my many parts boxes. It has a green wire coming from it, and I understand from the schematic and forum conversations that it is supposed to go to a spade on the turn signal switch. There IS a purple wire coming from the loom to the switch, but it...
  3. Bill Tubbs

1961 Le Mans film with Sunbeam Alpine

I couldn't find it here on the forum, so I'll post this link. If it IS here somewhere, please let me know and I'll delete this one. I found a 15-minute video on YouTube that includes some good shots of the winning Alpine (Index of Thermal Efficiency prize). I hadn't seen it before, so maybe...
  4. Bill Tubbs

Rollbar compatibility

I've been thinking of getting a rollbar for my SV and see there's one from a SII on eBay. Will this fit, or are the differences in the body too much?
  5. Bill Tubbs

Weber 32/36 DGV Jets

I've been reading the various threads about jets for the Weber 32/36 DGV and saw a few posts about changing the stock jets for better performance. I installed my Weber straight out of the box (from Pierce) and it runs okay, but I'm wondering if I should make jet changes. 1. Does anyone know...
  6. Bill Tubbs

My '67 Runs!

I buttoned everything up and gave my SV a quick test drive today, down to the corner and back. Then I just did a little YouTube video of my circuit around the front yard. I forgot how nice my stainless steel exhaust sounded! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbtVxNjNPJg&feature=youtu.be...
  7. Bill Tubbs

2015 British Car Show in Dixon, California

The annual United British Sports Car Club show and swap meet is coming up on May 17th. Usually other British cars predominate, but sometimes there are two or three Alpines/Tigers there. At the Dixon Mayfair site. http://www.ubscc.org/CarShow.htm
  8. Bill Tubbs

Weber 32/36 Choke Cable

Now that I finally have my SV running with its new Weber 32/36, I find that the choke cable is way too long to attach. What do you Weber guys do about this? Cut the original one? Adapt an aftermarket one? I got the Weber from Pierce several years ago, so it's not a kit setup.
  9. Bill Tubbs

Switching Wheel Hubs

Searching through the messages, it seems that removing wheel hubs can be (and usually is) a real PITA. I have wire wheels on my SV but bought some hubs for standard wheels several years ago in the thought of making the switch. Being much less than mechanically inclined, ("then why did you...
  10. Bill Tubbs

Wrong Pertronix from SS

I bought a Pertronix Ignitor and Flamethrower coil from Sunbeam Specialties several years ago but didn't install it at the time since I had other engine issues. I fixed the other problems and since my SV is running, I decided to go ahead and install the Ignitor. It wouldn't fit, no matter what I...
  11. Bill Tubbs

Another "try to get it started" thread

I finally pulled my SV out of the garage and decided to see if I could get it started this past weekend. A couple of months ago I installed a Weber to replace the stock ZS's and verified that there IS fuel flow. I also installed a new Pertronix black coil, and checked for good voltage to the...
  12. Bill Tubbs

Gasket sealer

Quick question: Do manifold and carburetor gaskets need sealant or are they installed dry? If sealant, on both sides of the gaskets, e.g., from carb to gasket/gasket to manifold; and manifold to gasket/gasket to head?
  13. Bill Tubbs

Correct Weber?

I'm about to actually get to my Weber conversion (I retired about a month ago and am lining up my project list :D ) I would greatly appreciate it if those of you who are already experts on the Weber (or at least know SOMETHING, which is more than I do) would check out some photos of a used...
  14. Bill Tubbs

Carb gasket

I installed my ZS150s back onto the SV and all seemed to be well for about 5 minutes, and then a small stream of fuel started dripping from behind the forward carb. I shut it down and am waiting for more time to get them back off and investigate, but I'm thinking it was coming from between the...
  15. Bill Tubbs

Step-by-step Stromberg Tuning?

There are quite a few threads here and in the archives about tuning the dual Strombergs and I just want to get it right after rebuilding a pair from my late parts car. Here is what I distill from the book and from the threads: 1. Centralize the jets by loosening the adjustment screw a bit...
  16. Bill Tubbs

Series I on Craigslist

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/car/703521791.html
  17. Bill Tubbs

Seat removal

In the WM it says to remove the front seats "all that is required is the removal of the retaining bolts from the seat frame". Are these the two bolts that go from left to right (or right to left) across the frame? Or are those just adjusting bolts?
  18. Bill Tubbs

Carburetor Heat Shield

After my recent incident watching gasoline from a leaky jet drip onto my exhaust manifold, and hearing other interesting stories from the past about potential and real fires, I was wondering if anyone has crafted a heat shielf to separate out the carbs from the exhaust manifold? I had a 79 MG...
  19. Bill Tubbs

Weber 24/27, 27/26 ?

I was going through my small stash of Webers while soaking my ZS carb parts in cleaner, and discovered I have a 24/27 and a pair 27/26's (at least that's what's on the barrels). Has anyone seen or used these before? One of the 27/26's is on what I believe to be an older BMW manifold, and the...
  20. Bill Tubbs

Series I in SF Bay Area (Craigslist)

I just came across this add on Craigslist-SF Bay Area: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/car/660106270.html FYI...