• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Weber 24/27, 27/26 ?

Bill Tubbs

Donation Time
I was going through my small stash of Webers while soaking my ZS carb parts in cleaner, and discovered I have a 24/27 and a pair 27/26's (at least that's what's on the barrels). Has anyone seen or used these before? One of the 27/26's is on what I believe to be an older BMW manifold, and the other is on a SAAB V4 (probably the 1700) manifold. I know next to nothing about carbs, really, but I thought the numbers either stayed the same (38/38) or were progressive (28/36). What gives? Are they good for anything?

Bill
:confused:

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Bill,

On the Weber DGV 32/36 on my Alpine, the primary/secondary chokes are stamped 26/27 on the actual housing. The 24/27 could possibly be an earlier DGV or DCD, but not 100% sure.

Regards, Robin.

Bill Tubbs

Donation Time
Wow, that's confusing. When I got these several years ago I was told they were 32/36 models but when I got them and saw these barrel numbers I just figured I got a bad deal. So how can you tell what model the Webers are in situations like this? For example, you know you have 32/36s, Robin, but how do you prove that to someone else? Are there other identifying markings that I'm missing?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Measure the throttle plates, or at least the bores.

Its the plate size that determines the basic carb model (32/36 DGAV etc), the
cast in chokes are often marked with numbers on the outside of the carb
that are part of the casting.

The specific Weber part number is a conglomeration of the basic model, the choke sizes and the specific idle/main/air corrector/idle/pump orifice/Pump actuator hole/emulsion tubes.

Specific result becomes an application specific "tune" for a given engine application.

Replacement carbs and aftermarket carbs are sold with "common" tuning configurations which work reasonably well with most engine setups.
Application specific carbs often have oddball jetting to cure a particular anomaly with that engine and might be deficient as compared to the aftermarket setup.

Bill Tubbs

Donation Time
Wow... I didn't realize they were that confusing. I'll find something to measure the plates with pretty soon and see what the result is. So I may actually HAVE the 32/36s I was told they were... guess I'll see. Thanks!