• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. themole

SIII Gearbox -add oil

Relay test complete. When the OD is switched on and the car is in 3rd a breaker closes. I checked the solenoid as well and is make a loud click. The other breaker remains closed all the time. It seems to be power. If I open it the other breaker opens as well. Not sure where to go from...
  2. themole

SIII Gearbox -add oil

relay click You are describing exactly what happens. Is the relay switch something I can rebuild? It doesn't appear available. TM
  3. themole

SIII Gearbox -add oil

moving the plunger Thanks for the oil quantity. What I do know is the OD switch goes on and off and kicks on and off when shifting from 3rd to 2nd and back. Not sure about the solenoid. I checked wires to see if they had fallen off. I see this gearbox has two switches on top but the...
  4. themole

SIII Gearbox -add oil

proper amount of new oil Seems odd there is no way to tell how much oil is in there. So, for an SI gear with overdrive - how much oil? Thanks for the replies TM
  5. themole

SIII Gearbox -add oil

dip stick Yes, there is a easy-to-remove cap/plug on the top left of the transmission. There is no stick attached to it to indicate the oil level though. Should there be? If I add oil here at what point is the gearbox full? This gearbox has an overdrive (that will not engage). I am...
  6. themole

SIII Gearbox -add oil

How does one add/check the oil level on the SIII gearbox? My SV (full synchro) has an oil filler bolt on the side. I do not know how the get oil into this non-synchro gearbox. There is no bolt on the side. thanks for any help. TM
  7. themole

oil in the plug holes

I am using a head from a '69. An Arrow I believe. No oil leaks in the spark plug hole. tm
  8. themole

jaguar xke series1 wire wheels

I found 72-Spoke 15x5-inch Wire Wheels from a old jaguar xke. Has anyone had experience using these? I am currently running 14" wires on my SV without any trouble at all. tm
  9. themole

Strombergs - need help

air leak I am leaning towards an air leak issue which may or may not account for excessive hydrocarbons on idle but maybe it would explain why pulling the choke helps with accelleration. I do believe my head gasket is leaking. I was asked about this earlier as a possible source but I had no...
  10. themole

Strombergs - need help

5.5 turns out I have yet to take the carbs off the intake. When I put them on I did follow the book. That was 4 years ago. Presently, it takes 5 1/2 turns out to get a smooth acceleration. This has to be wrong. I can smell raw gas. I ensured the manufold gasket has no leaks. If I set...
  11. themole

Strombergs - need help

ok - more changes I found among my many spares a matching light weight piston. Now they both go up and down at the same rate. The rear still will stall the engine if I raise the piston. If I put a cloth over the front then the revs go up - not so much with the rear. YES it does work...
  12. themole

Strombergs - need help

making things worse or maybe better The diaphrams seem to be slotted nicely. The pistons are oddly mismatched. The one from the right is lighter than that from the left by half. Since the right side would stall if I raised the piston I decided to switch the two pistons to see if I get...
  13. themole

Strombergs - need help

thanks for the quick response If I lift the left piston the rev's go up and down like you describe. Not a huge response but a slight response. I can also lift the piston to the top and let it lower itself with out much effect on the revs. If I raise the right piston more than a half an inch...
  14. themole

Strombergs - need help

I have an SV with twin stromberg 150cd s. Here it is. With the filters off, if I plug only the left with a cloth then engine revs up. If I plug only the right with a cloth the engine has no response. Which is correct and what might be going wrong? Doug SV
  15. themole

Backup lights and Hood pins.

I am looking at purchasing an Alpine. It's so new it has the pentagram. (My first Alpine had a pentagram) It also has backup lights. I am unfamiliar with backup lights on an Alpine. I was hoping someone could direct me to a picture of an Alpine with them. This car also has pins for...