• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. CRBASIN

1725 Head for Sale

I sold my SV last week and did not include a spare head in the deal. The head is from a rebuilt engine that I purchased in 2016 that seized after only a few miles (probably my fault). I have no idea what it is worth and will entertain any reasonable offers. I live in Silver Spring MD. John
  2. CRBASIN

Wiper Motor Park

My SV wipers no longer park and run continuously (unless I pull the fuse). As I understand from reading old posts, there is a switch inside the wiper motor that opens and breaks the ground circuit when the wipers reach the park position. I removed the end plate of the motor (without taking out...
  3. CRBASIN

Two Tigers in DC Area

I was looking at Craigslist in Washington, DC and found two tigers. The first appears to be in running condition, the second is a project. I do not know these cars or their owners. . Odd that I've never seen the running Tiger--according to the Craigslist map, it is right in my neighborhood...
  4. CRBASIN

Hot Ignition Switch

I noticed the other day that my ignition key was hot after a drive. I put my fingers under the dash and found that the ignition switch was also hot. This is not normal, is it? Suggestions welcome. John
  5. CRBASIN

New Starter--Free to a Good Home

I am cleaning the basement and would like to send a new Carquest starter for a Series V to a good home. You pay for shipping. John Green Silver Spring, MD
  6. CRBASIN

Pinion Seal and Bearing

I am replacing my pinion seal as part of my ongoing effort to reduce fluid leaks. In doing so I noticed that the pinion shaft has about 1/4 inch of play left to right and up and down. Is this normal? Do I have a bad bearing? Thanks, John
  7. CRBASIN

Oil Cooler Line Leak

My oil cooler lines appear to be weeping at the connections to the oil filter adapter. My plan is to replace the copper gaskets and hope for the best. Could I also use teflon tape on the connections? Any other suggestions? John
  8. CRBASIN

1725 Engine Parts--Free to a Good Home

I am cleaning the garage and would like to clear out a seized 1725 engine. I plan to keep the head, cam shaft, and timing chain cover. Everything else is available. You can read about the sad story of this engine on my Sunbeam blog, which I write mainly to keep family and friends current on my...
  9. CRBASIN

Short Block

Last spring I installed a rebuilt engine that seized on its second drive. I recently disassembled the engine and took the crankshaft to a local machine shop hoping that they could grind or polish it. They confirmed that the engine was run with low oil pressure and recommended that I bring in the...
  10. CRBASIN

Coolant Leak--Weeping Freeze Plug?

I found a non-oil puddle under my SV, and on inspection, low coolant in the radiator. The puddle was under the left side of the engine. I found nothing on the radiator or on the crossmember, nor under the water pump. I did notice some wetness near the front left freeze plug. Could be coolant...
  11. CRBASIN

Grade 5 or 8 for Suspension?

Good morning, I am rebuilding my SV front end--new tie rod ends, ball joints, and bushings. I replaced most bolts with new grade 8, but only had grade 5 available for (i) the long bolt under the shocks and (ii) the sway bar mounts. Am I ok or should I track down grade 8 for these parts...
  12. CRBASIN

Seized engine

As I reported earlier, I installed a recently rebuilt engine in my SV. With your help, the engine was running well, and the valve noise much reduced after a second round with the feeler gauge. Unfortunately, during a second test drive the engine seized. In hindsight, I am almost certainly to...
  13. CRBASIN

Engine--Cylinders #3&4 Not Contributing

I just reinstalled my engine and am having problems getting it to run properly. Specifically, the two rear cylinders are not firing. The engine runs very rough and my infrared thermometer shows a cold exhaust manifold for these two cylinders. I am getting spark and have tried resetting the...
  14. CRBASIN

Plastic "Dead Pedal"

I am reassembling my interior and cannot remember the exact location of the "dead pedal." By this I mean the plastic cover that fits above the dimmer switch. Does anyone have a photo of the area by the dimmer switch? Thanks, John
  15. CRBASIN

Alpine "Restoration" Blog

I have been keeping a blog about my SV since I purchased it last year. My intended audience has been family and friends, so I take poetic license on some of the details. I am including the link below in case other owners are interested. The main page shows a pristine Sunbeam found on the...
  16. CRBASIN

Telescoping Steering Wheel

I removed my steering wheel to remove the dashboard and somehow pushed the center shaft for the telescoping lock mechanism too far into column. The threads in the inner shaft are now inside the column and I cannot thread its nut that secures the shaft to the locking wheel. Any suggestions on...
  17. CRBASIN

Battery to Solenoid Cable

I am installing Pete's Performance wiring harness. A very nice kit, by the way. While I have the interior apart, I would like to replace the battery to solenoid cable as a preventive measure. Does anyone know the wire size--length and gauge? I have added only two circuits to the car, a fuel...
  18. CRBASIN

New Engine--It Runs!

Thanks again for your responses to my previous posts about my "new" engine. I am happy to report that, with the assistance of my sons home for Christmas vacation, the recently rebuilt engine I purchased from Mike in Florida now runs. They drove the car around our neighborhood park and found...
  19. CRBASIN

Leak at Oil Cooler Adapter

First, thanks again for your help with our distributor problem. We turned the oil pump shaft to the correct orientation, and the engine fired right up. Now a new problem. We have a leak at the oil cooler adapter. Specifically, the upper gasket blew out in the middle of the long edge next to...
  20. CRBASIN

New Engine Setup #2

Two more questions on my recently rebuilt engine that I purchased from Florida: 1. Distributor: I can't seem to get the timing within range of 10 BTDC. With the distributor rotated counterclockwise and bumping against the block, static timing is closer to 30 degrees. I am using the...