• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Coolant Leak--Weeping Freeze Plug?

CRBASIN

Donation Time
I found a non-oil puddle under my SV, and on inspection, low coolant in the radiator. The puddle was under the left side of the engine. I found nothing on the radiator or on the crossmember, nor under the water pump.

I did notice some wetness near the front left freeze plug. Could be coolant or oil dripping from above (I have recently fixed a leaky valve cover).

Any suggestions on further diagnosis procedures? And if is the freeze plug, could I temporarily use a screw in rubber replacement?

Thanks

John

mikephillips

Donation Time
Sounds like that is the culprit, and it would be coolant rather than oil that would leak from there since it is an opening into the water jacket. There are 2 or 3 overall on that side, don't recall the exact number. But if one is leaking the others probably aren't far from it as well.

You can use one of those expanding plugs, but it seems to me that it isn't worth it since you'll have to remove the manifolds to get at the existing plug to remove it and replacement is a simple matter of some sealant and popping a new in in place. And while doing it check the inside of the plug since even with coolant they will rust over time, particularly if original, and that will give you a hint about the condition of the others.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Replace all that you can get to. I saw two plugs on a Taurus fail within twenty miles of each other. Talk about quality control!

Bill

Shannon Boal

Platinum Level Sponsor
Replacing freeze plugs

I use a tool like this to install new ones, having removed old one first. http://www.autozone.com/cutting-dri...-freeze-plug-installation-tool-kit/965837_0_0
To remove old one, punch one side to turn it at right angle to block, then grab with channellocks and roll, pry, lever it out. I use aviation form-a-gasket or some such on new plug. I assemble that tool at anticipated angle with vice and pipe wrench so that it is too tight to flop over to different angle. I drive plug firmly until sound tells me it is flush, using 2-3 pound ball pein hammer. Your mileage may vary, but I will not use a rubber plug again....

CRBASIN

Donation Time
Thanks for your suggestions. Before ordering the new plugs, I decided on more diagnosis. For this, I cleaned the area I though was leaking, rigged a radiator overflow catch bottle, topped off the radiator, and went for a test drive. I caught some coolant in the bottle; and the side of the engine remained clean.

My working hypothesis is that I dont have a coolant leak, and the puddle under the car was from the overflow. Since the car didn't overheat, I am assuming that the shop that aligned the front end after new ball joints, bushings, and tie rod ends added coolant. I will keep an eye on things and hold off on replacing the freeze plugs.

John