• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Zdp

Nickodell

Donation Time
If you don't mind reading something written for - ugh! - Triumph owners, here is a long but very comprehensive treatise on the harm caused to "flat tappet" engines - which would include our 'pines - by the elimination of ZDP in the "New and Improved" oils. It's three years old, and refers to using Rotella and some other oils, but these have by now been denuded of ZDP:

http://www.dctra.org/?p=79

Penn Grade #1 (used to be Kendall) contains high levels of ZDP. Ignore the fact that they refer to "phosphorous," instead of phosphorus:

http://www.bradpennracing.com/Zinc.aspx

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
If you don't mind reading something written for - ugh! - Triumph owners...

Excuse me?
MyRenown.jpg

65beam

Donation Time
shell rotella t 15/40 still has 1200ppm of the good stuff. i made a call awhile back to the tech line for jobbers and talked to one of the engineers. he comfirmed that zddp is still there. there had been rumors that it was gone but it's not.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
If you don't mind reading something written for - ugh! - Triumph owners,

Uh, note my email address GT6Triumph@gmail.com. :eek: My GP Spitwad would run circles around my FP Alpine (and did). Call me a dual citizen..

RootesRacer

Donation Time
If you don't mind reading something written for - ugh! - Triumph owners,

Uh, note my email address GT6Triumph@gmail.com. :eek: My GP Spitwad would run circles around my FP Alpine (and did). Call me a dual citizen..

The aftermarket has been very kind to british leyland products.

If you spend enough dollars on a rootes engine, they are very formidable.
The rest comes down to weight.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
National Parts Depot sells ZDDPlus by the bottle $9.95 or six pack $57.95.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
The aftermarket has been very kind to british leyland products.

If you spend enough dollars on a rootes engine, they are very formidable.
The rest comes down to weight.

Well yes. The basic problems with racing an Alpine in 1972 were: No factory support, weight. Leyland (or whoever they were that year) had a decent budget and years of development on MG and Triumphs. The Spifires and GT6's were turning up to 9,000 rpm's, etc. The Spit also weighed nothing with, despite the swing axles, a pretty sophisticated suspension. Since at that time you could not change rods, the Alpine engine was just too limited with a heavy car. SCCA would have done it a favor dropping it to Hp from F, even then, a very good bugeye would have given it trouble.

This, of course, has nothing to do with engine oil.

Nickodell

Donation Time
:(:( Ok, OK; the Triumph bit was over the top. We have to cater for all minorities on the forum. I will wear sackcloth and ashes for a week. The point is that ZDP is going to be removed from Rotella and other diesel oils at some point in the near future, so it's wise to have alternative sources.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
:(:( Ok, OK; the Triumph bit was over the top. We have to cater for all minorities on the forum. I will wear sackcloth and ashes for a week. The point is that ZDP is going to be removed from Rotella and other diesel oils at some point in the near future, so it's wise to have alternative sources.

I dont see any reason why ZDDP should be removed from non automobile engine oil. The reason it fell from favor was that is tends to degrade catalytic converters.

H One-Twenty

Donation Time
Good (and cheap) old STP Oil Treatment is alleged to have "about 1900ppm of zinc" I use it every oil change.

Email from STP:

Thank you for contacting us about STP Oil Treatment.

Our STP Oil Treatment contains the zinc anti-wear agent ZDDP. This ingredient was once found in most motor oils. If you add one 15 ounce bottle to four to five quarts of oil, it will provide the same protection as the older motor oils once provided. The amount of ZDDP in the product is proprietary. Many classic car owners with flat tappet cam motors use our product for this reason.

We hope this information is helpful to you. Again, thank you contacting us.

Sincerely,

Patti Copper

Consumer Response Representative

Consumer Services

Did you know: STP stands for Scientifically Tested Petroleum.

Jim in PA

Donation Time
Zddp

Lucas Oil has a ZDDP product readily available. I've used it the last few oil changes and my SV still starts and runs...

Nickodell

Donation Time
Been hearing that ZDP has been removed from Rotella for two years, don't have any idea where this "news" is coming from. Nick, where did you hear it?

Bill

I did some digging last year when the ZDP subject came up, and found an article that the EPA is planning to greatly reduce the ZDP level in diesel oil because the Agency regards the oxidation products of phosphorus as a pollutant, which would cover non-cat engines also. They likened it to removing lead, an absurd comparison and although it has been challenged by scientists I assume that if nobody stops them, they will go ahead the same way that they declared CO2 - essential to plant, and ergo human, life - a pollutant earlier this year. I can't cite the article as I just read it and moved on, and it was many months ago.

On the basis that good rumors almost never come true, while bad ones usually do, it might be a good idea to lay in some stocks of high-ZDP oil now.

Added Later: The memory synapses are firing. I recall last year talking to my off-road rally racing nephew Paul in Perth, WA, in which he tells me that the Australian EPA were about to remove or greatly reduce ZDP in diesel oil. It only wants one advanced country to do this and the guys in DC will follow as sure as night follows day. Can any of our friends in Oz confirm or debunk this?