• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

wont start

repete

Donation Time
OK, I'm out of idea's here so I'm asking for and confirming info.
First off engine is a rebuilt 1725cc that has run since rebuild (so I was told)
Engine was a little "stiff" turning over so I pulled the plugs and put oil (10w) in cyl. then turned over some. Next cleaned plugs, added fresh gas,points and condenser= had a very weak spark so I tossed on a spare coil-WOW GOT SPARK NOW:eek:. Cranked her over but got nothing but backfireing (when I changed the points I found the dist. very loose) so brought it around to #1 TDC on the compression and moved dist. till #1 plug sparked. Should be good right? Wrong, I've checked this seveveral times and still won't fire up. I may have some bad info. or I'm doing something wrong repeatedly.
Fireing order is 1-3-4-2 correct?
#1 is closest to the rad. correct?
If the fireing order is 1-3-4-2 that would mean that the wires on the dist would go ( counter clockwise) #1 then the nxt would go to the third cyl from the front, then the next wire would go to the last cyl. ect
Am I thinking about this wrong? Any help would be great!

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
Is the engine turning over fast on the starter? If not, and the engine is newly installed, check that it has a good earth to the chassis.

howard

Donation Time
It's probably NOT the problem, but I'd replace the plugs rather than cleaning them. They can look fine but still not be firing properly. IMHO

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Just to clarify what Tony was saying: Are you sure you have a ground strap, from engine to chassis. The original was a braided strap from the tranny to the chassis at the tranny mounting bracket. One end of strap is under a bolt head that goes into the tranny and other end goes under a bolt head into the chassis. Some owners have replaced this with a more visible strap or short heavy cable in the engine compartment, from block to firewall. What does your Alpine have?

Tom

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
Fireing order is 1-3-4-2 correct?
#1 is closest to the rad. correct?
If the fireing order is 1-3-4-2 that would mean that the wires on the dist would go ( counter clockwise) #1 then the nxt would go to the third cyl from the front, then the next wire would go to the last cyl. ect
Am I thinking about this wrong? Any help would be great!

Yes that sounds correct. The static timing should be 8 deg BTDC, sounds like you are starting with 0 degrees, although I would think it should still start with that setting.

FYI, there is an online manual here: http://www.rootes1725cc.info/ which has all of this information.

Is the dizzy loosening up again? I think I remember people having issues with the clamp. Also I guess you don't want the clamp too tight because it can crack the dizzy.

Good luck.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Are you getting enough fuel flow? Are the plugs wet? Have you tried starting fluid to get it started?

RootesRich

Donation Time
I suspect that the dizzy is 180 deg off if you're getting a spark and backfiring. You can read up on the dizzy installation proceedure in the online manual or do a Forum search then verify with what you see.

repete

Donation Time
Thanks for the reply's, I'll look into that ground strap just in case, it does spin over as fast as I'd expect, the plugs look good but hay it's only 4 so I'll pick up some. Yes it's getting fuel (flooded it once) and Iv'e gotten some pretty load back fires useing starter fluid. I'll keep you up dated but it will be a week or so before I can do anything with it. Thanks again