• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wont go into reverse

JonPiz

Donation Time
I have a problem with my automatic. Whilst up on stands if I go through the gears the wheels revolve forwards when the selector is in reverse. It goes PDNDD. Every position is as it should be except reverse. Please help:confused:

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Jon,

Don't know a heap about the Alpine auto's, but have you checked the basic things like the oil level and linkages?

Regards, Robin.

JonPiz

Donation Time
I think the box is shot on reading more stuff about it. I will put the manual back in but I need a clutch slave cylinder. Were they the same through all series?

64beam

Donation Time
I think the box is shot on reading more stuff about it. I will put the manual back in but I need a clutch slave cylinder. Were they the same through all series?

Hi Jon,

Looking at some part numbers for clutch slave cylinders, the series I & II were the same with some of the series III's having the same. They then changed from B9204718 onwards to the series IV and V.

Regards, Robin.

moonstone SIV

Donation Time
Hey Jon,

I thought I saw in the pics of your resto what appeared to be the reco BW35 waiting to be refitted, or had you just done a good job with some silver paint?

I've never heard of a 35 going forward in reverse before, two gears at once maybe when they fail but then they just lock up. This may sound obvious but is the shift linkage correctly adjusted? That is, park should be at one end of it's travel (tailshaft locked) and work your way back from there.

When the shift linkage operates it simply opens and closes some ports in the valve body via the shift valve that it's mechanically joined to. So unless someone has had it apart and............... Maybe ring a couple of trans shops in your area and test their knowledge!

Cheers, Lance.

JonPiz

Donation Time
I got it out of a working Alpine Auto that the owners was converting to V8. Needed a good clean but sounds like it was on its last legs.

The more I think about it I would probably enjoy a manual more and should have just stuck with that initially. I have everything inc a new clutch and pedals but I just need new master and slave cylinders

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hey Jon. I just dusted my SIV Automatic off yesterday and drove it for the first time this year and I'm always amazed at how little movement of the shifter it takes to select another gear. If I ever have this happen, I think I'd try and vary the shift lever slightly and if that worked, it could be that the linkage needs a slight adjustment. Unrelated, I once asked a really good transmission mechanic about the BW35 and he said the bell housing had a tendency to break but that shouldn't be a problem with a Sunbeam because of it's small size, and otherwise, the BW35 was reliable.