• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wire Wheels

S

scottylack

Bought a 63 with wire wheels with the single twist on knock off hub. How do I switch this back to a 4 lug rim???????????

mikephillips

Donation Time
It's fairly simple. You need to find a set of front hubs with grease cover from any series Alpine as they're all the same. Rears are different, from the series I-IV they're the same and the V is different. So you should need the earlier rears. To be absolutely sure measure the hole for the axle in the back of the wire wheel hub, it should be 29mm across. Rick at Sunbeam Specialties or Curt at Classic Sunbeam may have a secondhand set around. You'll want to get fresh front bearings and grease seals as well. Then, your choice of wheels and lugs that fit.

Lester

Donation Time
I have steel wheels, caps, and hubs, in great condition from Series 3. Consider a trade of some kind?? I want to go with wires. Let me know.

Lester

Donation Time
They are stock painted wheels, correct for a Series 3. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they are 13". I have the original hub caps and trim rings. You can see them pictured on my car.
Lester

65beam

Donation Time
keep in mind all of the problems with wire wheels.they get loose spokes ,they get out of round ,they wobble ,hard to balance,they become a real pain.around here it's getting hard to get anyone to mount tires on them.plus tubes are getting hard to find ,plus it's getting difficult to keep the tubes in good shape. keep your steel wheels or use the money to buy a set of mini lite replicas.

napa 1

Donation Time
Lester, GO WITH WIRES! Wire wheels are an absolute must for my car. Trouble or not. However, there is a solution for those of us that must have wire wheels. After much research, I ordered a set of wires directly from Dayton, ( 850.00 for the painted set- original option) made to order. They are tubeless, are pre-adjusted before they ship and thats it. They maintain that unlike other wire wheels available such as Dunlop, the spokes will stay true and not need adjusting. I took them down to my local tire store where they said they were easy to install tires on and balance. I bought a set of new spline hubs from British wire wheels to ensure a nice grip in the splines. A british sports car without wire wheels? I don't think so.

mikephillips

Donation Time
When replacing wire wheels with new one thing you must do is inspect your hubs condition. Unless they show no wear at all always replace them as well. If you don't then you risk premature wear of the splines in the wheels and difficulty removing the wheel from the car later.

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
Lester, GO WITH WIRES! A british sports car without wire wheels? I don't think so.

I'll second that!

5d2c5c74.jpg

Lester

Donation Time
I agree. It makes the look. The steel wheels are very classy, but so sedan. I don't want to hijack the thread, so I'll politely slip out. Thanks, Lester