• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

wire wheels

JR66

Gold Level Sponsor
Recent posts on this forum about wire wheels caused me to reminisce. As a 21 year yr old 3rd yr mech. engineering student in northern NY state in 1965 I lucked onto a true barn find (but didn't know the term back then) an almost rust free 1959 Austin Healey 100-6 for something like $250. It ran great but was my first experience with British sports cars so I didn't know what I was getting into. Caution and logical thinking not having developed yet, I decided to drive the 300 miles back home to Western NY at the first break, probably Thanksgiving, without giving it a real shake down cruise. After a while I heard an unusual metallic ping, kept driving and then another one every so often, seemed to be happening more frequently. Finally the vibration started so I stopped and to my dismay lots of broken spokes. Put on the spare and, guess what, pings started up again after awhile. Seemed the more spokes that failed the faster the rest went. It was a race to see if I could get home before they all went! My guardian angel (yes, I have one) got me home, shaky wheels and all, and also found me an affordable shop in Buffalo that rebuilt wire wheels. I like Alpines but wish I still had the Healey - real sweet 6 cyl. engine - but after that experience I also developed a favor for solid wheels.