• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wire wheels to solid

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
I love the convenience of the wire wheels I have but not sure I can trust them to autocross occasionally. Is it hard to convert to the lug type and or are there center mount alloys around? Thinking of changing.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I love the convenience of the wire wheels I have but not sure I can trust them to autocross occasionally. Is it hard to convert to the lug type and or are there center mount alloys around? Thinking of changing.

I myself broke enough spokes just driving that I was compelled to go solid wheels.

Chrome plated spokes are the worst since the very process that makes them look nice is responsible for metallurgical failures of the spokes.

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
Tracy:

There are center-mount alloys out there; the link that Steve provided is a good example of them. However, the size and strength of the wheel mounting hub makes them a very heavy option. You would be doing yourself a big favor by switching the wire wheel hubs on your car to the bolt-on wheel hubs. Switching the front hubs out is not difficult, but you may encounter some resistance when trying to pull the hubs off the rear axles. I had a friend at a machine shop do that for me; once they were off, everything went like clockwork. Plus, the wheels that you can get for that application are much lighter and are, IMHO, much more suited to any form of motorsport than a center-locking wheel.

Best of luck,

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Tracy,

I have rear bolt on hubs and I think fronts as well from a Series V in my parts stash.

Let me know if you need/want them.

Cheers!
Steve