• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wipac Reverse Lights - Reproductions

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
In another thread I found a link to the RatSport folks, and while browsing I found that they have a very good reproduction of the Wipac reversing lamps. I'm not sure these have been available before, have they? (Or have I just been asleep?) Anyway, at only $31.74 each they seem a good value.

Check them out:

http://shop1.actinicexpress.co.uk/shops/Rat_Sport/index.php?cat=Headlamps

Replica_wipac_self_contained.jpg

alpine_64

Donation Time
In another thread I found a link to the RatSport folks, and while browsing I found that they have a very good reproduction of the Wipac reversing lamps. I'm not sure these have been available before, have they? (Or have I just been asleep?) Anyway, at only $31.74 each they seem a good value.

Check them out:

http://shop1.actinicexpress.co.uk/shops/Rat_Sport/index.php?cat=Headlamps

Replica_wipac_self_contained.jpg

Kevin,

The sunbeam ones mounted from the rear.. but these look similar and you can make brackets to hang from the bumper mounts so no body drilling.. but not strictly the "correct" ones.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Kevin,

The sunbeam ones mounted from the rear.. but these look similar and you can make brackets to hang from the bumper mounts so no body drilling.. but not strictly the "correct" ones.

Hmm.. OK. My car was supplied with a dealer-installed Lucas unit, so I never saw the factory lights.

65beam

Donation Time
reverse lights

reverse lights with the top mount like these were used from 1968 on . they had a bracket that fastened to the bumper mounting bracket.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
This is the type of lamp that the dealer added to my car in 1967... and I will say, it's nice and bright...

Lucas 494
!BOQiZnQBmk~$(KGrHgoH-D4EjlLle-etBJtul1Q3cw~~_1.JPG

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

Thanks for the link Kevin. I think they are a very good alternative to the originals. The best thing is no drilling into the rear of the car to mount them. A simple bracket off the bumper bar bolts and your set. There was also a Wipac reverse light above the item you posted, but they don't show how it mounts.

Thanks, Robin.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Robin, heres a shot of my flush mounts. They are attached by two screws to the body and have a recessed area on the back that holds a gasket for waterproofing. They are also found on Harringtons. But I think they only used one on those cars. Jeff
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2583729400100474824AwwvgK?vhost=rides

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for the post. They are the other type that I was talking about (the lamp above the item Kevin was showing us). Now I know how they mount to the car.

Thank you, Robin.

spudman5

Donation Time
Did anyone ever provide pictures of the wiring harness and wiring routing for the reverse light? I have my tranny out of the car and I want to install the reverse switch and wiring for the reverse lights when I re-install the tranny.

Mike

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
I put backup lights on my car in a pre-Invasion scramble, so I don't have written notes on it. I do remember that the aft end of the wire is in the trunk, nestled up next to the crossover tube, a little left of center. Standard bullet connector. The other end I believe is in the engine bay, near the fuse block or near at the firewall near the master cylinders... one of those two places. I think I picked up power from the fuse block, went down and back to the trans switch, and attaching to the firewall-area bullet connector. At the back, I ended up using through-drilled bolts instead of making another hole for wires. This was a pain in the butt. Note that I was not installing authentic, or even repro, Wipac's, and was not installing them on, shall we say, a car of scrupulous pedigree. I just wanted to see behind me.

I think the wire was purple/green, but that's just a guess. And is this the circuit that's not in the wiring diagrams? Or is it the OD circuit...

Anyways... I would recommend thorough testing of the switch operation via gearshift before installing the trans. I also recommend installing the switch wiring harness before trans installation.

Also check the wattage of your lamps, and calculate the combined current load on the wire. It would be easy to smoke it with the wrong bulbs.

spudman5

Donation Time
Ken,

Thank you for the information. I was planning on running the wiring before re-installing the transmission. However, I hadn't thought about testing the switch.
For the current draw of the reversing lights, I'm going to try and use a set of LED lights. A local farm supply store has several types of white LED lights that should suffice.

Mike