• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wing Windows

seriesvince

Donation Time
Is anyone running their sunbeam without the wing windows on the doors? If so... what did you do to fill the "hole" in where the window meets the door?

any ideas would be great...

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Question

Is anyone running their sunbeam without the wing windows on the doors? If so... what did you do to fill the "hole" in where the window meets the door?

any ideas would be great...

Do you just not want to run them or are you missing them and can't find replacements? I have a set for an S2 (I think) that I'm not going to use.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Vince,

If you don't use the wind wings, you won't have any way to guide the windows. This wind wing has a grove that is used to keep the window glass from flopping around. If you don't have them, I would look for a pair and install tyhem.

Jose :)

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yeah, esthetically I can't really see any virtue in getting rid of them, either. I think they add to the car's style. I do wish they'd made them so they open, though... now *there's* a mod I'd like to see. My Morris and Triumph have opening wing windows and I love it - really helps cool the car in summer.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Opening quarter lights would be a nice mod, but the frame would need to be thicker.

There was a tiger here in AU that didnt have them a while back.. but it may not have had windows either.

There are a few tigers and alpine SIV-V I have seen in the Uk running without them, they have made a new window glass, or perspex, that fits the large shape. As Jose said, you need a guide to stop the window being pulleed out via the psi from the wind. This is why the SII has a long guide channel compared to the SI's small guide. If you look back though the manx TT website there is a shot of a tiger with this setup.. might be worth a try. You cant use the early series guides as the window frame angle is different as are the mounting points.

As for aesthetics, i think they look better without them, and the fact that you get a better foward/quarter view is a bonus.. but its a bit of work.. in some ways its easier to fit a SI/II depending what doors/frame you have available and use those... but then you have to work out how to resolve the different soft top frame issue!

seriesvince

Donation Time
I am not running windows in the car at all. It will be a true roadster... no top no windows...

I was thinking I may like the look (cleaner) of not using the 1/4 windows. Just thought I would do some fishing and see if anything interesting popped up.

Thank you all...

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I am not running windows in the car at all. It will be a true roadster... no top no windows...

I was thinking I may like the look (cleaner) of not using the 1/4 windows. Just thought I would do some fishing and see if anything interesting popped up.

Thank you all...

If you are not using side windows, no need for the quarter windows. You will have a gap in the door, but it will just be an extension of the side window gap.

Bill

seriesvince

Donation Time
So I guess my real question was....

Since the window fuzzy will only go to where the quarter windows were... does anyone have any idea on how to fill in those last 6 inches? Maybe trying a window fuzzy from a different car that would be longer?

I dunno... i'm probably spinning my wheels here...