• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Windscreen installation

craigb

Donation Time
I have new glass and new rubber seal for the windscreen, have the glass installed in the frame using a cord and it was easy, but the stainless on the sides and the bottom have me a little baffled. The sides stainless is held in with rivets but it seems very tight getting it into place and they dont want to fit and stay in place and the lower stainless is popping out as fast as I can put it in. Anyone had good success with this? What holds the lower trim in place? Thanks in advance, Craig

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Craig, I wish I could answer your question. I fought my stainless trim, finally decided it needed some gentle bends in order to get it to stay in place. All I can suggest is to make haste slowly. Make no adjustment you cannot undo and making minor adjustments and check progress as you proceed. Minor bends (more like springing the trim) made large differences. Two years later, I really cannot remember the details. It is sort of like a bad dream, the harsh details are erased by time.

Bill

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
It has been awhile for me as well, but the bottom stainless piece isn't hard to put on, but if I remember correctly, you can't put it on until after the windshieild frame to body seal is on, and the windscreen is mounted. Again if I recall correctly, the top part of the bottom stainless goes into the windshield glass gasket and the bottom edge is held on by the body seal. If it's not correct, it does work as mine has been that way for the last 12 years.
Hope that helps.
Cheers!
Steve

craigb

Donation Time
Thanks everyone! I was wondering about the idea of using the frame to body seal to hold the lower windscreen stainless in place and Steve's response confirms my thoughts so I will give it a try. I will let you know how it goes. Sure it nice to get the support of the forum!!

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Trim

The small SS moulding at the bottom of the windshield needs to be glued together after assembly a good 2 part epoxy works well I, used double baked tape etc etc,NOT! also the vertical trim pieces that are pop rivited on ,we tapped them 8/32 UNF and used SS button head screws instead of rivets.

Mikeflbmer

Bronze Level Sponsor
stainless

I had the same problem. The rubber moulding just doesnt hold it....I drilled a small hole thru the SS pices where they overlap and installed a small allum rivit at both ends of theat lower piece. you can drill out the rivit if ever removing it again. Mike

65beam

Donation Time
windshield installation

the problem you are having is not the fault of the rubber . it's probably due to the moulding being bent out of shape . this subject came up yesterday . tiger auto installed a new windshield into the frame for our series 5 . after having the stainless polished ,doug found the same thing you're talking about. he told me yesterday that with some very light bending and twisting ,it fits real good .so keep that in mind next time .