• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wilwood Brake master cylinder installation ~ an tips and photos

beijing_ken

Donation Time
Hi All,

I am going to put in new Wilwood master cylinders for the brakes and clutch; does anyone have experience installing these, especially the linkage from the pedals to the master cylinders ?

Any tips or photos would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Ken

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi Ken
Compare the new vs the old The biggest issue will be the push rods
Also remember that all the aftermarket parts are aluminum which work great but you must drive the car somewhat regularly or the seals will leak
I have had new MCs sleeved prior to installation to avoid this

Bruce

Campervanman

Silver Level Sponsor
The bit I found hard to find was the right size clevis for the end of the pushrod.
Then I had laser cut a selection of spacers to move the master cylinder for best location to ensure piston is fully out when pedal is released.
(a proper engineer would have calculated it correctly and made one big spacer)

But then I had an issue with the wilwood - type 9 gearbox clutch lever is on the opposite side so oil filter gets in the way of the pull slave - so changed to a Land Rover master/slave combo (more spacers needed).

Attachments

• 20170812_072842_resized.jpg
    20170812_072842_resized.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 20170812_072747_resized.jpg
    20170812_072747_resized.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Campervanman, I like your clevis.... any part numbers available for the source?

DanR

Campervanman

Silver Level Sponsor
Unfortunately no part numbers as it came out of the "gash bits" bin at work. It's rather robust for the job.
Strange that I couldn't source a clevis to fit from the Wilwood supplier.
I was going to get one made then found this one.:)

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I used this one, you will have to drill your pedal out to 3/8"
http://www.wilwood.com/Search/PartNoSearch.aspx?q=clevis
I just oversized the hole in the firewall and spacer a little, and install it like stock.
IMG_3298-L.jpg

kmathis

Donation Time
Boy, it sure was good to meet you in Cambria...That is the most beautiful engine compartment I have ever seen.

DaisyPusher

Diamond Level Sponsor
Wow, I thought mine looked alright until I saw this! I have serious engine bay envy! I'm sure everyone else knows and I'm brand new, but what engine is that? It looks phenomenal!

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Daisy, If you really want to see some fantastic work , look up Toyanvil's posting on his Alpine....

I truly believe it is the most detailed "Mod" to an Alpine I have ever seen:D