• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Why the 2.8 and not the 4.0?

norville

Donation Time
I'm not trying to stir the pot, but some day I want a 5spd for my pine. Looks like the v6 swap is cheaper than the toyota 5 spd swap.. But anyway. I realize some of these conversions were done a few years back, but the 4.0 will bolt up to the same tranny as the 2.8 so why not do a 3.0 or 4.0 swap? 3.0's are dirt cheap are they physically to big ??

thanks,

bob

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I'm not trying to stir the pot, but some day I want a 5spd for my pine. Looks like the v6 swap is cheaper than the toyota 5 spd swap.. But anyway. I realize some of these conversions were done a few years back, but the 4.0 will bolt up to the same tranny as the 2.8 so why not do a 3.0 or 4.0 swap? 3.0's are dirt cheap are they physically to big ??

thanks,

bob

Hi Bob,

The engines you mentioned are not suitable, because of their exhaust port arraigement. Only the 2.8 V6 has a weird port arrangement, which allows the steering arm on the driver's side to clear the rearmost exhaust port. The other thing is that these engines are too long to fit the short Alpine engine compartment. The fuel injected engines would need a large hood scoop or power bulge, to clear the tall fuel injection manifold. All these things can be overcome, but it would be a lot of work, plus you'd need to change the steering to a rack and pinion type, thus ruining the fine handling the Alpine is known for. The only V6 that will fit the Alpine, without a whole lot of cutting and modifying, is the Ford 2.8 V6.

Jose :)

norville

Donation Time
Thanks Jose. I had a feeling you know the answer to this.;) I wish I could promise you I want one of your kits, but I won't be for another year. So keep me in mind for the next years list.

thanks
bob

miket

Donation Time
Hi Bob,

I finally got my car running this summer using the Camaro 3.4 and T5. have a look here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akMIEv03Ftk

The video was done when I had only started the car a few times. A few days later I finally drove it off the patio (obviously I'm single) and took it for it's first drive.

I don't think there is any noticable change to the steering. Say what you will about the Alpine steering, my MGA is much more agile. I consider the Sunbeam to be more of a touring car, and the MGA is perfect for drives along the lakeshore.

Still I love my V6 Sunbeam. foe me it's a dream come true. I'll have to put it in storage very soon, but I'm ready for next summer and look forward to crusing up north with it.

Cheers,
Mike

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mike, you speak of steering and agility. Exactly what do you mean? I do not consider the two terms to be same. The typical Alpine is hard to steer due to improper wheels and large tires. Is that what you are referring to?

Bill

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Mike, you speak of steering and agility. Exactly what do you mean? I do not consider the two terms to be same. The typical Alpine is hard to steer due to improper wheels and large tires. Is that what you are referring to?

Bill

Yeah, mine steers super hard but handles like its on rails.

miket

Donation Time
Bill,

The MGA seems to take corners much more effortlessly than the Sunbeam. You really want to take corners withouty slowing down. I'm not trying to be critical of the Sunbeam. As I said, I love my car and having it makes me happy.

There is a fairly windy road between Montral and Hudson, where you really can't get up much speed, and I think that I would rather drive that road in my MGA.

But there are other roads up north with longer turns, where there is no need to drop below 50, and the Sunbeam is ideal for those roads.

That being said, I hate taking the MGA on the highway. And the Sunbeam cruises much more easily at any speed I choose. It's a much more solid car.

By the way, I remember when I raced my Tiger years ago at St. Jovite. And stock MGB's really gave me a run. The Tiger was no competition in the corners. But the straights allowed me to get ahead. But my lap time were only slightly better than thre B's. Maybe 2-4 seconds. And then there were the Cooper's.... Wow!

I remember being about 1/3 up the back straight and seeing a cooper behind me, just coming out of the hairpin. I thought I'd never see him again, then about 2/3 of the way up the straight. Bzzzzzzzzz. And he was gone.

One thing I will do next summer is use spacers on the the back wheels, and get slightly wider tires. I have the 155's now. I think 175's will be an improvement for the power I have.

Mike

norville

Donation Time
Hi Bob,

I finally got my car running this summer using the Camaro 3.4 and T5. have a look here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akMIEv03Ftk

The video was done when I had only started the car a few times. A few days later I finally drove it off the patio (obviously I'm single) and took it for it's first drive.

I don't think there is any noticable change to the steering. Say what you will about the Alpine steering, my MGA is much more agile. I consider the Sunbeam to be more of a touring car, and the MGA is perfect for drives along the lakeshore.

Still I love my V6 Sunbeam. foe me it's a dream come true. I'll have to put it in storage very soon, but I'm ready for next summer and look forward to crusing up north with it.

Cheers,
Mike

Mike, great! Do you have a write up on this? Are you saying you had to switch to tiger steering? 3.4 is a lot easier to find over the 2.8, really the only reason I asked about the 4.0 I'm flush with exploders...

thanks,

bob