• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Why I don't do CNC

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Bad G code = crash.

I hear foreign speak in the background, perhaps that's where all the machining jobs have gone to.
Whoever programmed that setup screwed the pooch or so to speak.

wipeout

Donation Time
glad you posted that..I thought I needed to know what CNC was....now I do and now I know less...

it's obvious that this is some kind of auto machining machine, but what is even more obvious is that you can find ANY kind of video on youtube.

:D:D:D

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
glad you posted that..I thought I needed to know what CNC was....now I do and now I know less...

it's obvious that this is some kind of auto machining machine, but what is even more obvious is that you can find ANY kind of video on youtube.

:D:D:D

CNC=Computer Numerical Control. Me and 'Puters don't don't get along too good.

Bill

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Being an old machinist, I have experienced plenty of crashes with manual machines, when I'd forget which way I had to turn the handle at the end of a cut. Computer machining is subject to the same kind of mistakes, if the programmer isn't paying attention while writing the program.

I have experience with both kinds of machining and love both. I like the speed with which you can make identical parts with the computers, but missed the satisfaction I'd get when I'd finish a part with a manual machine.

That crash isn't the worst one I've ever seen. The set up guy looks like he didn't tie the vise down well enough, the pressure from the cutter moved it just enough for the cutter to take a bigger bite of the metal, which then caused the vise to move to where the whole thing came to a stand still. if the vise had been correctly tightened, it wouldn't have moved at all if the machine had had another reason to crash.

Jose

gordonra

Donation Time
Jose is right...

The cutter would have broken and/or the spindle would have shut down on overload. That kind of thing really plays heck with the precision of the machine tool.

I spend a lot of my working time around this stuff because I design and build machines that load and unload CNC machines... The production shops are doing some pretty amazing things thes days with active tooling, part probing, and right angle spindle adapters.

Rich