• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

WHOOHOO!!

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Its supposed to get into the high 5o's Thursday. Anybody got large pieces of cardboard I can use for temporary ducting so I can paint the engine compartment? I was beginning to think we were stuck in the 1950's with this cold spell.

These Old Fashioned Winters can go to hell. In the early 60's we had a cold streak with overnight lows in the -20's and the temp barely got above zero for over a week. We finally got a sunny day when it got all the way up to +10, people were driving around town with the window down. This cold is probably twenty degrees warmer.

Believe me.

Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
We are having a rather odd winter here in Sunny SC with the temp staying below freezing (around 17) for much longer times than normal. Rare indeed.

A friend called yesterday asking if I still had some firewood available, Said I did and to bring a trailer.... He showed up about 2PM. I had the battery charger on the New Holland for trickle charge about 4 hours awaiting his arrival. It still did not want to start, finally fire up and I made him a good load.

I'm going to have to add a electric heater to the Tractor for "next" winter. Too dang cold not now to work outside. My shops (heated) are full of Alpines getting worked on:) Much better choice, Huh?

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Bill Blue wrote: "Anybody got large pieces of cardboard I can use for temporary ducting so I can paint the engine compartment?"
Just put together some lovely Ikea, so I can set you up. :) Harbor Freight has canvas or plastic carports/garages for cheap-ish, if you want to enclose the whole car.
Or get some sheets of blue foam insulation 1" or 2" thick, and build a box to work in. You can get a head start on warming the metal itself by using a couple of magnetic engine block heaters directly on the metal. Two of them should warm things up nicely (locally), at about 100 watts each. Happy spraying!

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Ken, I like the idea of the magnetic engine block heaters, for my New Holland Diesel, where do you get them?

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Tractor Supply stores, here in the midwest. I would think a farm/fleet type place would have them, although lately there may be 'seasonal availability' issues. Tractor Supply in Lexington NC has "some".
https://www.tractorsupply.com/CompareProductsDisplayView?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&compareReturnName=Search: magnetic block heater&searchTerm=magnetic block heater&categoryId=143&catentryId=18207;254&returnUrl=https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/magnetic%20block%20heater#facet:&productBeginIndex:40&orderBy:&pageView:grid&minPrice:&maxPrice:&pageSize:20&?fromPage=compare&catentryId=18207;254

$40/$60 depending on wattage.

Similar pricing on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_12?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=kat's+engine+heaters+magnetic+heater,+300w&sprefix=kat's+engine,aps,159&crid=1B6LUTDXT21PC

I also use them on the snow blower for easier starts, and on my milling machine and lathe to raise their temp enough that they aren't a condensation target out in the largely-unheated garage/shop.

You need to have a smooth-ish, flat place for them to stick to, and they need to be affixed to a heat 'sink', otherwise they could melt their own case. They have 100, 200, and 300 watt versions.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Ken, just going to brush on Hammerite paint and need some fume control. I like the paint, but the fumes are horribly strong. By the way, could I interest you in some EFI hardware?

In the meantime, I just saw a BBC headline about the hottest weather in 79 years in Sydney, Australia. 117 degrees!

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The painting went better than usual. I double crossed Mother Nature and did the painting Wednesday. The ventilation system worked great. Barb came home and asked what the odor was. I told her it was either paint or barbecued pork. She said "Pork", as when she left home paint was not on the schedule. But the day was so nice and everything was ready, so I did it. I don't think the temperature in the basement got lower than 60. Don't know if the paint was a good idea or not, but it sure is different. So I guess it fits in with the rest of the car.

I think the paint will command a few double takes. Sort of like the look I got from a female passenger of a new Chevy when I passed them at 105 in the Gremlin. They were cruising in the left lane at about 100. So I passed them on the right. Sort of like the reaction you'd expect from a DC8 pilot when spotting a Piper Cub at 30,000 feet. Damn, but that thing would haul.

Oh, those were the days.
Bill

Fordtootsie

Donation Time
I don't think a Piper Cub could get to 30,000 ft. I have seen pictures of one at 10,000 feet + and going up - great thermal

John in Colorado

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Which is why the DE8 pilot would be as startled as the Chevy driver when passed by Gremlin Bill... zing!