• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Whatever became of Afsander's car?

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Those who were active on this forum 4-5 years ago will certainly remember John Wheeler (afsanders) and his incredible widened SII. John educated and entertained us for months with his artistry, and the final car, while it certainly wasn't everyone's taste, was a work of art. I saved many of the 'how to' videos John made along the way, but have no photos of the finished car. Unfortunately, all of the 100's of photos John shared with us were only accessible online and the links he posted don't work any longer. I was telling Rocco about the car today and wanted to show him a photo of the final product, but couldn't find any. Did anyone save any pictures?

For anyone who wants to read about the project, here is a link to every thread started by John: http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/search.php?searchid=436291

Last edited:

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
If I remember correctly John finished the car and blew the engine and was trying to sell it as is; don't know anything beyond that.
But you are right, he was a true metalsmith and artist. Every thing was custom.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Your recollection is correct. The last thing he posted here was his For Sale listing, which noted: "The reason I am selling the car is my life has changed. I'm not that interested in cars any longer. I guess I've just been around them too long or have lost the passion for them." Besides wanting to see photos of his car again - and wondering whatever became of it - I hope he is well and was hoping someone here had kept up with him.