• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

What to do with my 67 V-6 conversion.

bongobob

Donation Time
I built and own the first V-6 conversion using V6 Jose's kit. Jose worked extensively with me in Seattle on this project, advising me on just about everything. The car always ran super until around 5 years ago or so. I doubt if I put more than a few thousand miles a year on it since conversion for a total of maybe 15,000. My memory is failing me when it comes to exact dates (and a lot of other things) so the above facts are rough.
I've had the car in a carport for the last 5 years or so since it began to backfire and stopped running; a totally unusual thing. I had other things come up in life so I just didn't get around to fixing it. I wasn't able to diagnose it easily so a year or two later when I got back to it, I got frustrated and turned my back on it again. Then I bought a Porsche and neglected the little beauty completely. Until recently. A friend who is quite astute mechanically came by a few hours here and there and we went over a bunch of things and finally lifted the distributor cap and the rotor. Hmm. The roll pin holding the sprocket on the shaft had slipped out of the keyway and was lying next to the pickup. Duh. So after replacing it, I fired it up and , lo, it was running sweetly again.
Now, I have a problem. The car needs front caliper work and what once was a pristine body and paint now needs sanding, a little body work, and paint. And all the rubber (some I have) and interior (everything cosmetic) has aged and needs cleaning, replacement, help. There is no bad rust but now there are a few small areas where some surface rust has begun. So...I can't decide whether to put elbow grease and money into it or sell it. Does anyone have advice on how to deal with the caliper issue without spending a ton of money? The engine is the 2.8 with a T5 and 3.55 rearend. Holly 390, cam, metal timing gears, heavy duty springs, oil pump. No tach or speedo. Mini Mags and rubber like new. If someone would like to make an offer and take over from here, let me know. I've had this for 30 years.

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
I'll give you a hundred bucks, site unseen. If you send me a few pics we can work our way up.

In all seriousness, I've been gathering parts for a V6 Alpine. If the right one came up, I might quit and just buy one. Got a title? I need one to cross the border to Canada.

PM me if it might work.

bongobob

Donation Time
pic

How do you post multiple pics on a single post?

Attachments

• 2011-08-08 12.49.33.jpg
    2011-08-08 12.49.33.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 81

bongobob

Donation Time
jpg

One more for now. I can send more easily to an email address.

Attachments

• Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 68

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Guys,

What Bob forgets to say, is that the engine was rebuilt at the same time the conversion was done, so the engine is still like new. Like Bob said, it has about 15K miles on it.

Like Bob said, this is the very first V6 conversion done with one of my kits. He did a great job with the conversion. If I had the money, I would buy it myself and see what it would cost to ship it here.

Jose

bongobob

Donation Time
Hmm

Well, I just got off the phone with someone who read my posts and I think the car is spoken for! I'll have a definite comittment in a day or two. If you are interested in the car, check back in a couple of days for an update.

Thanks for you input, Jose. Nice to hear from you. I'll check in with you via Skype sometime.