• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

What is Better S-III Close Ration or SV All Synchro

Gary T

Gold Level Sponsor
I have both a Series III close ratio transmission and a Series V all synchro transmission. For a Series II, which transmission is better?

alpine_64

Donation Time
I have both a Series III close ratio transmission and a Series V all synchro transmission. For a Series II, which transmission is better?

Depemds what you want it for.. but the SV all sync box has ratios that are very similar to the S3 CR box.. and on the road will be a bit nicer as you dont get the vintage gear whine in 1st gear... as for ease of dropping back to 1st while on the run.. the all sync box would in theory be easier.. i say theory because 1st in the alpine boxes is so low that you would rarely select it other than when stationary and moving away.

agmason54

Donation Time
What is better S3 or All sycro SV

Beamers
I prefer the earlier trannys simply because they feel 'notchy' .To me the SV all-syncro transmission feels like a stick shoved in a watermelon. I think it's just a matter of personal taste and I don't think one is better than the other. I run both and don't mind coming to a dead stop to grab 1st gear but would never consider a non-sycro tranny or an early engine in a SV car.
AGM

Mikeflbmer

Bronze Level Sponsor
All synchro

All synchro is best...Gears are better and it is nice to be able to hit 1st as you roll backwards out of the driveway....of course OD is the ultimate.....I have an Alpine with OD and one without....big difference driving one vrs the other

Gary T

Gold Level Sponsor
S-III Versus All Synchro

Thanks to all who replied. I am going to use the all synchro Series V transmission in my Series II.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Gary

Happy New Year to you! Using the SV all-synchro is a good decision, I believe.