• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Weatherstrip installation tips?

RootesRooter

Donation Time
I'm having a devil of a time installing the front hardtop-to-windshield frame seal on my SV. Any recommended tools or techniques?

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
tips

we had the same problem. it took a lot of work with picks to open up the flange to allow the rubber to fit. we also glued the rubber to the channel. the person that did the hard top restoration has been doing this for 40+ years and he finds a lot of rubber doesn't quite fit as the original did. it appears that when you compare it to an original piece the new seal is larger and as I have heard so many times from him a slight modification is required.

65beam

Donation Time
tips

he also had problems with the hard top corner pads. one of the guys at the shop spent time using a sanding block to cut down the thickness since they were so thick that we could not pull down the B post clamps and keep them latched. the seal under the back presented the same problem as the windshield seal and also kept the top setting too high. he ended up cutting it down to allow the rear to set lower

mikephillips

Donation Time
The original, althought not usable, pads that came off one hardtop were much closer in consistancy to the foam weatherstrip. The replacements I got are much more like hard rubber. I think we all have trouble making them fit right.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
I id my car a few years ago w/ the foam type from SS. More recently did a Volvo 1800 w/ the same seals and used contact cement letting the first inch or two set up before continuing the job, w/ good results.
I found that if you stretched it a little it was easier to get in the channel but I could do only an inch or two at a time [ that way it would shrink back to it's original size] so there was no tension in the seal. It take just a thin line of cement on each surface to keep it in place til it forms the bond.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
I id my car a few years ago w/ the foam type from SS. More recently did a Volvo 1800 w/ the same seals and used contact cement letting the first inch or two set up before continuing the job, w/ good results.
I found that if you stretched it a little it was easier to get in the channel but I could do only an inch or two at a time [ that way it would shrink back to it's original size] so there was no tension in the seal. It take just a thin line of cement on each surface to keep it in place til it forms the bond.

So, if you're using glue, then you're not actually sliding the seal the entire length of the channel, right?

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
The seal shoulders are in the track all the way around. The only way to be sure it stays in is to use some contact cement. The cement does not have to be continuous but it does have to be on the track and the seal at the same place for good contact and bonding.
My car has a 4-5" rusted track on the bottom, w/ the outside of the track just about gone, so no shoulder for the seal. That was glued continuously and has held up .
I haven't looked for a source for the tracks but I guess someone out there makes them.

mikephillips

Donation Time
I did at one point find a source for replacement track from a Jaguar supplier. Only came in straight sections and I didn't pursue it as they wanted $6/ft.