• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Voltage Regulator

finally

Donation Time
I am trying to follow the directions (team.net) for converting from + to - ground and it says to use a wire to touch terminals A and F1. Problem is I can't see anything indicating which terminal is which. Anyone have a picture or able to describe it??

Thanks!

Wombat

Donation Time
When I converted my SIV to negative earth, I connected a cable to battery positive (after changing the connections on the battery so that negative was connected to earth) at the solenoid and touched that the the field terminal (she small one) in the back of the generator. There were some crackles and sparks, and when I hooked the field and output wires up on the generator, everything worked as it should.

ozzie alpine

Bronze Level Sponsor
What you are describing is "sparking" the voltage regulator (cut-out), ie re-polarising the field coils to suit new polarity.
What Wombat is describing is "sparking" the generator. This definitely needs to be done also. Similar principle.

Sparking the regulator is done to prevent the contacts shorting (welding!) together once the newly re-polarised generator starts to provide it with current. I'm not sure if it is absolutely essential, but I'd be doing it to make sure.

When I get home from work I can check exactly which terminals are which and I'll let you know.

ozzie alpine

Bronze Level Sponsor
OK,
First thing is to establish which voltage regulator you have.
I think that S1-2 have a Lucas RB106, which has 2 coils inside it and the cover is generally rounded on the corners, whereas S3-4 have a Lucas RB340 which has 3 coils inside it and square corners. They are basically interchangable, so don't rely on your Series number, as it may have been replaced previously.

The Team.net instructions are for the RB106 version.

RB106
With the terminals on the underside of the unit, from left to right they are :
A1 A F D E

RB340 has different terminals and letters, although the connections are actually similar.
Again, with the terminals on the underside, from left to right they are:
E D WL F B B

If you translate them into the equivalent terminals on the RB106 they would be:
E D D F A
ie WL and D are connected, and the two B terminals are the same as the A1 and A terminals (on the RB106 the two A terminals are actually connected via a small coil of wire - one is ignition, the other is "aux" ie when the key is turned backwards for accessories).
So, if you actually have an RB340, you would take a small wire and spark it between the F and B terminals to reverse polarity.

I've very suprised that the Team.net instructions don't say to spark the generator. Its also recommended if you fit a new/recon unit, just to make sure that the field coils are properly polarised.

I hope this helps and doesn't confuse!
cheers
Dave

finally

Donation Time
Great upgrade to the instructions that make a lot of sense to me now! Will do it first thing on Saturday - hoping that will take care of it!

Thanks