• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Valve / shut off before fuel pump at tank side.

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Ok, now I am getting a little tire of chasing problems!!!:mad:
I now have the rear hub seals installed and I have fixed the tranny shifting problem! I stated the car and she only ran smooth for a couple of minutes and then started to sputter and stop! I now have a small amount of fuel leaking at the valve shut off that is mounted to the fuel tank side of the fuel pump.
I can only assume that the valve is leaking air back into the system and the pump is unable to get the fuel up into the carbs.
I pumped the manual lever below the fuel pump and it sounds as if it is unable to get enough suction.
How fragile is this valve system? I have taken a look at other cars (SIV and SV) and they do not have the same valve system, is this valve a stock part?
It is almost impossible to get a good look at things with the oil cooler near by.
I like the idea being able to turn off the fuel supply at the pump with a simple push or pull but is it better to just remove the valve system?
Any help would be appreciated.

beamS3

Donation Time
Do not recall such a valve on my first series 3 bought new nor do I have a valve like this on the current series 3 which is quite original and which you saw a few years ago at Bronte Park.

Bob
Autumn Gold Series 3 ST
Mississauga, Ontario
Canada

Andrew

Donation Time
Fuel valve

I will take a picture this evening and post it as soon as possible.
I would like to remove it if it is not a stock part.:confused:
Thanks for the help.
Andrew

Wombat

Donation Time
Andrew

The valve is listed in the parts book as a stock item for some of the earlier models (maybe only in some markets). I am not at home now so can't check to find out which. My father's 1964 Hillman Super Minx that he had 35 or so years ago had the valve on the fuel pump and he had problems with it clogging and starving the engine.

Simplest fix would be to remove it.

Andrew

Donation Time
Fuel valve

This is the fuel valve that I am talking about.
The valve is left of the fuel pump. It is nice to have as I can turn off the fuel with a quick push of a button when in storage.
It is no good if it is not working or if it is bleeding air into the line.

fuel-valve.jpg

I would like to keep it on the car and would like to know if anyone has experience with this part?:)

Regards,
Andrew

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
I guess being a "rare" part it is cool to keep, but as it is giving problems and serves no real purpose I would ditch it.
Other than when servicing the pump what possible good can it serve?
Like I said though, if it works, don't fix it. But if it's broke.......

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
valve/shut off

Andrew: I have the same one on my Series 3 GT! I thought it was a DPO add on, but I agree, it's prett cool and does work pretty well. Glad to see it wasn't a Kmart add on!
Cheers!
Steve

Andrew

Donation Time
fuel Valve

Well, it is hard to get at but it looks as if it only needs to be tightened down.
I may have to use a little Loctite to keep it form loosening off of the fuel pump. Off and running again!

The only thing to do now is to see if I can stop the tranny from slipping out of 2nd! Yes, a tall order.

Thanks a bunch!

RootesRich

Donation Time
That's a good question Jeff.
I don't see much of a need for a shut off valve with a mechanical pump unless you're turning the engine over a great deal to set valve lash, set timing, or adjusting points. And that's a lot of engine turning.

Andrew

Donation Time
fuel Sut off

Well, it may be nice to have the fuel shut off when the car is stored for the winter. You can also run the car and use up any extra fuel in the carbs for storage or better yet, it may help to stop theft.
Anyway, it is not good if it leaks.
It is always great to chat!
Andrew