• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Value of LAT-72

Tiger

Donation Time
Hi everyone. I was wondering if there is a good sense of the real value of the original LAT-72 radio console for the Sunbeam Tiger or Alpine. With a beautiful reproduction being made, would an original LAT-72 still be considered to be valuable? What are these actually worth? Are they something people would pay lots of money for, or are they worth little money? I am considering adding one to my car and really don't want to step on my crank by paying too much. Thanks for your advice.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Good condition original consoules have gone for 1K+ on ebay with reasonable consistancy and thats a general accepted value for them, Good originals bring more than repros.. but the repros are fine if you are not going for concourse.

You get what you pay for.

Tiger

Donation Time
Interesting. I wonder if having an original LAT-72 in a concourse or other car would ever increase interest and eventual value of a car more than the actual cost of the console itself. In other words, hypothetically, if a Tiger with no console were worth $30,000 in market value, would a Tiger with the console be worth $30,000 too, or would it be worth $31,000? Could it possibly be worth more than that simply because the rare original LAT part is installed? Would spending $1000 on a LAT-72 be like stupidly tying up money with no possible upside, or might it be a good investment? I guess this is a bit of a philosophical question, but your opinion would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

65beam

Donation Time
lat 72

keep in mind that there were other radio options available from rootes. there is the small black metal frame with the sunbeam branded am radio that was installed by dealers. this came as a kit. there were hardly any cars shipped with options installed unless the car was special ordered. most of the cars were not designated to a particular dealer. they were sold to the distributor who then sold them to individual dealers. that was the case with my series 4. it went thru byers/ columbus who sold it to trainor motors about three miles north on high street. we had to buy the radio,etc thru byers.