• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

V6 Rearend Options

61Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Guys who are doing a V6 swap. On eBay right now there is a Dana 44 rearend that was narrowed for an Alpine. Starting bit is $950. Looks pretty nice. I would go for it but I already invested in a Ford 8".

dmich2

Donation Time
Rob. I have the Dana 44 in Sweet Pea. Mine is an older conversion, from what Jose has told me, and I have not had any problems with it (knock on wood). When I was having a lot of work done on her last year my mechanic was impressed with the Dana. However, he is a Ford man and thought a Ford rear would be as good, if not better.

As for price....:confused: Not a clue, but seems high too me, but hey, so does everything for an Alpine. I think JimE and Jose did a piece on those rears in the old forum, but not sure.

Dennis

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
The Dana 44 is a bulet proof rear end, but is heavier than the Ford unit, and parts are harder to find. The rear end in Dennis's Alpine is a Tiger unit that Vince, the original owner of the conversion, said he was going to use.

If the Dana being sold is a true drop in, it might be worth the price, since the Ford rear end will cost that much if you change the gear ratios along with having the axle cut and adapted to fit the Alpine, but like I said, it is heavier and the gear ratio might not be best for the V6 conversion. If the gears have to be changed to suit the V6, you could get into a big money situation pretty quickly, on top of the original price.

Jose

RootesRacer

Donation Time
That dana 44 looks nice.
One piece axles (tiger is two piece), 30 spine too.

One thing really confuses me, why on earth would the seller spend all that money to build up that axle, then opt to install a trac-lok limited slip instead of a powr-lok????

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Dana 44

The Dana 44 is a bullet proof rear end, but is heavier than the Ford unit, and parts are harder to find.
Jose

Jose-What's hard to find on the Dana 44? I have a friend (that has ridden in my car:D ) at Dana/Eaton/Spicer, thru the Heavy Truck Components side who has advised me he can get me a new set when I build the next car. Maybe I can track some stuff down thru him.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Jose-What's hard to find on the Dana 44? I have a friend (that has ridden in my car:D ) at Dana/Eaton/Spicer, thru the Heavy Truck Components side who has advised me he can get me a new set when I build the next car. Maybe I can track some stuff down thru him.

Depends on what you are looking for.

Gearsets: Pretty easy.

Bearings: Fairly easy.

Axles: Practically unobtainable (oddball 19 spline 2 piece axles).

LSD components: Powr-Lok carriers for the semi floating 19 spline are hard to come by. Rebuild clutches are available. New spider gears are nearly impossible to find.

Case: Magic rootes only model (like the axles and hubs).

J

jamesncantrell

I used a Dana 44 out of a wrecked Tiger. Works great and the gearing can be changed easily.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Dana 44 from a Postal Jeep usually has 3.07 gears and one piece 30 spline axles and Trac-Lok. 72-75 CJ5 4x4 rear is the same but with 3.73 gears.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Wow. Talk about waking an old (13-1/2 year old) thread. But thanks for the info.
Saw Jose in there and thought he started posting again.