• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

V6 Exhaust routing

chris

Donation Time
Next week I should be starting my Alpine for the first time under V6 power :D Now I have to decide which route to take with the exhaust. I'd like to avoid cutting into the frame, but I know ground clearance is going to be an issue if I don't. If anyone has photo's of either method, I'd love to see them.

Any advise regarding the best sounding mufflers will help too.

Thanks

Chris

Ckempx2@sbcglobal.net

Mark T

Donation Time
Hi Chris! I just had Sunny up on the hoist yesterday afternoon taking some measurements before we pull the automatic and start installing the T5 and I took some pictures. They're kind of dark but they should help. As far as my mufflers go the guy I bought the car from told me he tried out 5 sets before he got the sound he wanted... and it's sweet! Unfortunately all I know is that he said they are Dynamax mufflers. They are stamped 'Made in the USA' and 'W0807' over '16802'. I attached a picture of them too (assuming that I figured out how to attach pictures correctly!). Hope this helps!

Mark T

Donation Time
Forgot to mention that if you look closely at the first picture you'll see the prototype of the new transmission mount I'm developing. Only costs $10 and is fully adjustable!:D What do you think Jose & Jim? Could it be incorporated into your kits?;)

britbeam

Donation Time
Forgot to mention that if you look closely at the first picture you'll see the prototype of the new transmission mount I'm developing. Only costs $10 and is fully adjustable!:D What do you think Jose & Jim? Could it be incorporated into your kits?;)

Mark the mount Jose provides is awesome. Fresh ideas are always good. Howbout a picture of the mount out of the car if you havent installed the tranny yet. Dimensions and a pic would help make a better assement.
Dwain V6 Krazy

Mark T

Donation Time
Here it is!:D :D

Mark the mount Jose provides is awesome. Fresh ideas are always good. Howbout a picture of the mount out of the car if you havent installed the tranny yet. Dimensions and a pic would help make a better assement.
Dwain V6 Krazy

miket

Donation Time
This is a subject that I'm interested in as I'm going to attempt to start fabricating an exhaust system next week.

I purchased a tube expander on EBay for $10. Napa has 2" exhaust tubing at $33 for 10'. And Canadian Tire sells a variety of bends.

I was hoping to have fewer bends than in the photos. By the way, the tranny mount gave me a chukle.

As I recall my Tiger was fairly simple. So I was going to start at the back and have the muffler behind the differential. The muffler I selects on Jegs(17711) has an input/output offset of 4", so it would bring the pipe in without a bend. On my Tiger the exhaust went under the differential, and I was hoping to do the same. Then through the pass-thru, probably a slight bend will be required to get closer to the center, then a slight bend to get to the exhaust manifold. In my case it will have to turn up about 45 degrees.

Is it necessary to go over the differential with the Alpine? If so, I saw a picture somewhere, I think on an MGB site were the fellow used a 45 , then a 90 to go ver the top and down, the another 45 to level out. I looked good.

I found the photo. This fellow put in a few unions to make final assembly easier. Not a bad idea.

More photos anyone?

Thanks,

Mike

Mark T

Donation Time
It was progressing just slightly behind schedule until this morning. There was a screw-up at the machine shop and they don't have the main bearings yet. Of couse, being Saturday they can't even check on them. They tell me that there are only 3 bearing manufacturers and 2 of them have discontinued those bearings. They ordered from the other one a month ago and were told that they would have the bearings in 4 days. Someone told the machinist that the bearings had come in when they actually hadn't. Now he's afraid that the company may have called to say that the bearings aren't available and that he didn't get the message. I guess we'll find out Monday morning! BTW, anyone have a spare set of 2.8 mains laying around????