• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

UK V's US Radio

Limey

Donation Time
Hi All,

Which one of these is for the US market and which for the UK? I guess the US one won't work in England

Many thanks

Oliver

[/ATTACH]
moto.jpg

Last edited:

oLD lIMEY

Donation Time
Remember when my mother in law moved to Canada I asked her where the portable radio was she had. She said it would be no good in Canada as it only played English stations.

mikephillips

Donation Time
I would guess the one picture I see would be UK since the US AM band seems to run from 550 to about 1600 and that radio appears to lack between 550 and 1150.

Thor 1211

Silver Level Sponsor
Radio

No, there are two bands on the Motorola, one 550 to 1150 and one 1160 to 1500 and you can switch between them so both radios will work on all the AM frequencies?

Acollin

Donation Time
My first car was a 1951 Packard I bought in the mid 60s. I convinced my youngest brother that the radio played only 1950s music!

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
The North American radio will be the Rootes-branded version as shown with an AM band range of 550-1600. The UK-spec will have two bandwidths LW (Low Width/range) and HW (High Width/range). Since the two bandwidths differ it's doubtful either radio will pick up any stations on another continent unless there is a AM station broadcasting at the very ends of the bandwidths. BTW, I've seen this North American AM radio branded as Motorola but never seen a similar UK radio branded Rootes.

Here in the States, very few AM stations still remain and those that do broadcast at wattages much lower than they did in the 1960's. If you plan to use or even test a radio you simply must have an antenna plugged in otherwise all you'll hear is static, even if the receiver still works.

Here in Harrisburg PA we still have a local AM station broadcasting at 580hz. When I bench test a 50-year-old radio NA/UK AM radio I use an antenna with an extension and will receive only a weak signal.

Mark ..... v

loose_electron

Donation Time
LW MW HW are low medium high wave...

AM broadcast is still very alive and well all over the United States, with many 50,000 watt stations still going strong.

USA AM is from 540 KHz to 1705 KHz (as of 1993)
When those radios were built the top of the band was 1600 KHz

In the UK as of 1950, the broadcast band was 530KHz to 1600KHz

http://www.frequencyfinder.org.uk/History_Transmission.pdf
http://www.frequencyfinder.org.uk/Radio_1966.pdf

The North American radio will be the Rootes-branded version as shown with an AM band range of 550-1600. The UK-spec will have two bandwidths LW (Low Width/range) and HW (High Width/range). Since the two bandwidths differ it's doubtful either radio will pick up any stations on another continent unless there is a AM station broadcasting at the very ends of the bandwidths. BTW, I've seen this North American AM radio branded as Motorola but never seen a similar UK radio branded Rootes.

Here in the States, very few AM stations still remain and those that do broadcast at wattages much lower than they did in the 1960's. If you plan to use or even test a radio you simply must have an antenna plugged in otherwise all you'll hear is static, even if the receiver still works.

Here in Harrisburg PA we still have a local AM station broadcasting at 580hz. When I bench test a 50-year-old radio NA/UK AM radio I use an antenna with an extension and will receive only a weak signal.

Mark ..... v

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
I agree with Jerry - there are thousands of AM stations broadcasting across the entire spectrum of the dial.

"AM broadcast is still very alive and well all over the United States, with many 50,000 watt stations still going strong.

USA AM is from 540 KHz to 1705 KHz (as of 1993)
When those radios were built the top of the band was 1600 KHz

In the UK as of 1950, the broadcast band was 530KHz to 1600KHz"

Limey

Donation Time

Thanks VolvoGuys, Ive got one of each and I'm in the UK so I guess the Rootes one will be on EBAY USA soon.

Cheers

Oliver

Last edited: