• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Two Barrel Carburettor Linkage Setup.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

I am currently in the process of reverting back to a single down draught setup on my Alpine. Could someone with an original Series IV down draught setup, please take a photo so I can compare it with the setup I have.

Thank you & Merry Christmas,

Kind Regards, Robin.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

I have attached a picture of the setup I retained from when my Alpine has a weber DCD. Can someone please confirm that my setup looks correct.

Thank you, Robin.

Wombat

Donation Time
Robin

That looks much like the setup that is on my SIV, but it had a Holley 2 barrel fitted to it when I bought it. From looking at other Alpines, I think what you have is correct. I guess the proof is that when you press the accelerator the butterfly opens.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Robert,

Thank you for the reply. Everything seems to open fully when the accelerator pedal is pushed. I think the rod does not stick through the throttle lever enough on the carby where the rod clip is. I suppose the proof will be when I am driving. I am also having trouble finding the best idle/timing point, but that is another story :( .

Regards, Robin.

Wombat

Donation Time
Robin

Now that I have looked at the photo again, I can see your concern that the bent bit of the rod may not be long enough. From memory there is a hole in the clip that the end of the rod goes through to secure everything in place. It might be worthwile having a new rod made up with a longer bent piece so it all clips together as it should.

Good luck

65beam

Donation Time
two barrel weber

i made up several linkage rods about 1/4 inch longer so that i could drill a hole and use a cotter pin to keep it in place . or file the slot that the rod slides into so that the rod is farther thru the hole and then drill it .time leaves enough slop in the linkage that you will never notice a problem if you use a file .

64beam

Donation Time
Robin

Now that I have looked at the photo again, I can see your concern that the bent bit of the rod may not be long enough. From memory there is a hole in the clip that the end of the rod goes through to secure everything in place. It might be worthwile having a new rod made up with a longer bent piece so it all clips together as it should.

Good luck

I vaguely remember when my Alpine had the DCD installed, the throttle lever had been modified so that the rod stuck through more allowing the clip to do its job. I have made a sketch of the rod assembly, so I will eventually get one fabricated (with some modifications to make the assembly move more freely).

Regards, Robin.

64beam

Donation Time
i made up several linkage rods about 1/4 inch longer so that i could drill a hole and use a cotter pin to keep it in place . or file the slot that the rod slides into so that the rod is farther thru the hole and then drill it .time leaves enough slop in the linkage that you will never notice a problem if you use a file .

I like the idea of using a cotter pin which may be a better way of doing it or even a 'R' clip. Either one would do fine. I don't want to file the slot bigger in the throttle bracket as it could cause additional wear because the throttle shaft is not centred with the carby shaft (may not matter that much though)

Regards, Robin.

Jim E

Donation Time
I would heat the rod that goes between the carb and firewall and twist it a bit so the arm that the linkage between the rod and pedal conects to is not pointing as much toward the ground. if that makes sense... may make it smoother to operate

64beam

Donation Time
I would heat the rod that goes between the carb and firewall and twist it a bit so the arm that the linkage between the rod and pedal conects to is not pointing as much toward the ground. if that makes sense... may make it smoother to operate

Hi Jim,

You do make sense. The rod that is currently on the car is worn in a few places. When I make a new linkage rod, what you suggested is exactly what I was going to do. Even when my parents owned the car, my dad always siad that the linkage was not smooth (and we can see why). Is that how all the linkage rods were?

Regards, Robin.